Re: 2m under threat for Thales

Lawrence

Out of curiosity if 2m is not being used in the U.K. what frequencies do you use for public service and emergency response support networks and local chatter?

Here in BC Canada, 2m is used locally for nets, our club as 2 each week, a check-in net and a technical net.  BCFMCA has a daily check-in net that draws 100+ hams on a good day and there are many others.  I don’t know about the rest of the world but here there are something like 6 2m repeaters in the city area and a dozen or more in the regional area.  With the advent of DMR,  D-Star, Fusion and other digital systems we are linked world wide on 2m.  I don’t hear a lot of local chatter or QSO’ing etc but they all have regular nets and are in integral part of the amateur public service and radio emergency response networks.  We use 2m for communications at public service events like marathon, fireworks nights etc.

73 Lawrence Harris VA7EDU

On Jul 3, 2019, at 12:07, Stephen Farthing G0XAR JO92ON97 <squirrox@...> wrote:

Guys,

I can only speak for what I’ve experienced in the U.K. Two meters, apart from the FM repeater section, is not used much apart from contests. Turn on your radio and tune around if you don’t believe me. Or better still try for some CW or SSB contacts. Good luck! There is an old saying “use it or loose it” and in my experience Amateurs in the U.K. haven’t been using it much for a long time. So I’m not surprised that commercial companies have their eyes on this mostly unused spectrum. I read somewhere that (though I don’t know the truth) that the Thales proposal is to allocate more spectrum for Aircraft to use. Commercial aviation has expanded rapidly especially in the budget airline area. I guess we’ve all benefited from this. So it’s possible that they need more spectrum and Thales are leading the way.

Now I’m not saying that we should give up without a fight but I can’t see how we can win if we don’t start using 2 meters far more than we do now.

Regards,

Steve G0XAR