Re: QCX-SSB: SSB with your QCX transceiver

Brian Machesney

"...just nudging around a PLL oscillator ... results in an intelligible SSB signal..."

Envelope Elimination and Restoration (EER) was first described by Kahn in 1952 as a response to the reduced efficiency of the linear PAs required for SSB compared to the nonlinear Class C PAs employed by AM transmitters. Rather than separating an SSB signal into constituent carrier phase and baseband envelope signals before applying them to the gate and drain of an amplifier MOSFET, Guido generates the signals "directly," which has many advantages born from advances in digital semiconductor technology. As we demonstrate in our paper on a project we called the Polar Explorer, and on which we and others have made substantial improvements, this could well be the future of high power ham gear.

There are already SDR transceiver boards and software capable of producing the phase and envelope signals.