Re: Where can I buy floater balloon?

J68HZ

The balloon leaks less at altitude because the pressure on the inside and the outside come to equilibrium by diffusion.  The contents will leak until equilibrium is reached (if that is, in fact what is happening).  At that point then, the buoyancy balance is reduces like this:  [Pgas*Mwgas/Tgas]/[Pair*Mwair/Tair]… but now Pgas=pair… so the buoyancy ratio is [Mwgas*Tair]/[Mwair*Tgas].  And futher, for the most part, the temperature of the lift gas is approximately the same as that of the air… give or take… of course, this can change in the daytime when the sun warms the balloon and causes the lift gas to get warmer… but at night, the buoyancy equation reduces to Mwgas/Mwair… (2/16) meaning you will always have lift.  Again you need to do the real force balance to determine if there is enough lift gas quantity for the balloon to rise or fall… but what it does shows is the limiting case where the balloon will eventually reach a maximum and minimum buoyancy (day/night) and I think we see this in the altitude data that gets reported.

The balloon would actually leak MORE at altitude because the ambient pressure at altitude is lower.

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton – J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

Like us on Facebook! facebook icon

Moderator – North American QRO Group at Groups.IO.

email:  bill@...