Is the CLK0 pin of si5361a supposedly up to driving an HEF4013 direct?

Chris Wilson

Chris Wilson 25 May 2019

I have been using my U3S as an exciter for LF and my friend uses his
in the same way on MF. We take the CLK0 pin of the si5351a via either
a 100nF or 220nF poly cap respectively direct to the input pin of an HEF4013
flip flop, which in turn is capacitively coupled via 100 or 220nF poly
caps to the Class D amp FET driver IC(s). I have now been told the
output of the si5351a is too low a voltage to drive from directly and
we should use a level converter to get 5V out. What are your thoughts
on this please? It appeared to work OK as is... Thanks. The suggested
level converter is shown in the second schematic on this page.

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/mosfet-voltage-level-converter

If the feeling is this is desirable can we use a BS170 instead of the
2N7000 FET?

I have another Class D amp question that may well be right up
Allison's street, but I'll create a separate (slightly off topic but
possibly interesting to the group) post.

--

2E0ILY
Best regards,

--