Re: Where can I buy floater balloon?

J68HZ

Agreed.  A surplus weather or military balloon and helium is more than sufficient.  Party stores carry the helium.

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ 8P6HK ZF2HZ PJ4/K9HZ VP5/K9HZ PJ2/K9HZ

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton - J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

email:  bill@...

On May 22, 2019, at 12:38 PM, K2DB Paul Mackanos <paul.mackanos@...> wrote:

I am very surprised at the amount of thought and chemistry and physics and everything else that went into this question, Poor Fred  just wanted to know where he could buy a floater balloon. It was answered in the first reply to the thread, where did all the rest of this come from? I guess right now I’m afraid to go to the gas station and put gas in my car for fear that somebody’s going to tell me that a hydrocarbon somewhere mixed with oxygen is going to blow me into the stratosphere. 🙄
 Paul K2DB

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 1:09 PM J68HZ <bill@...> wrote:
Its catalyzed by steel.

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ 8P6HK ZF2HZ PJ4/K9HZ VP5/K9HZ PJ2/K9HZ

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton - J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

email:  bill@...

On May 22, 2019, at 10:16 AM, Joe Street <racingtheclouds@...> wrote:

Hi Bill

I was referring to your comment from before:

"  It will self ignite in the presence of hydrocarbons (eg something as simple as grease)"

Since you have a doctorate in chemistry I was hoping you could explain that reaction in the context of a leak in a room at STP ( not at 10 bar in a cracker) as was the point of the discussion.  I can't understand how that reaction happens.

Joe

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 10:58 AM J68HZ <bill@...> wrote:
Hydrocrackers, a unit op used for breaking long chain hydrocarbons into kero and gaso range material use hydrogen at 1,500 pounds.  Reformers which simply rearrange molecules product same carbon number chains but unsaturated (removes hydrogen) operate in the 500-700 pound range.  Hydro treaters to remove sulfur compounds operate in the 200-1500 pound range.  All of these units are very dangerous, not because of the high pressure H2 per se, but rather that you cannot see it burning when there are leaks until you are right up on it.  This can be an issue for a layperson when using compressed H2 in closed spaces like a garage.  It can me managed safely but you need to take precautions.  Filling a balloon in the middle of a field will be safe as long as the filling rate is not aggressive. Of course a H2 rated balloon is needed or it all leaks out as others have discussed.  Typically Mylar is used.

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ 8P6HK ZF2HZ PJ4/K9HZ VP5/K9HZ PJ2/K9HZ

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton - J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

email:  bill@...

On May 22, 2019, at 8:52 AM, J68HZ <bill@...> wrote:

Ph.D in Chemical Engineering with 35 years experience in refining.  Nope.

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ 8P6HK ZF2HZ PJ4/K9HZ VP5/K9HZ PJ2/K9HZ

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton - J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

email:  bill@...

On May 22, 2019, at 7:29 AM, Joe Street <racingtheclouds@...> wrote:

That and the fact that hydrogen, being the smallest of molecules is exceedingly good at finding the tiniest of opportunities to leak through.  I haven't heard of hydrogen self ignition in the presence of hydrocarbons.  Are you sure you aren't confusing that scenario with pressurized oxygen, which will certainly ignite grease it comes into contact with.

Joe

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 12:42 AM J68HZ <bill@...> wrote:
Hydrogen burns without color and that is the problem with it under pressure.