Re: QCX-SSB: SSB with your QCX transceiver

Guido PE1NNZ

Yes, that is what happens in the old version when Q6 bias/operating-range is off, and it makes totally sense because the key-shaping was actually only designed to switch a CW signal. You might want to try out the new version which removes C31; the circuit behaves more stable and linear, it is then digitally switched with the PWM signal.

Sorry to hear that you found the sample not all that good, it is always quite subjective; the signal indeed was quite weak at the moment I took the video, maybe the signals are easier to copy when the propagation is better?...or maybe this software driven SSB will always sound terrible?...

73,
Guido

On Monday, April 29, 2019, ajparent1/KB1GMX <kb1gmx@...> wrote:
There is degraded then and there is totally unintelligable.  I have only heard the latter.
When I put it on the the first time the best description was sounds like SSB
with excess compression through a bad class C linear.  I can claim I made a
few contacts but the audio was considered very very bad and in one case
the response was " I can hear you but your distorted, I can't get your call
try again later OM.".  I called him back on my other low power rig (KNQ7A)
and got a Q5 copy and we talked about what I had been doing.  I was
talking to a station about 1000KM during that session.

I checked the example youtube and that's not all that good. I could not easily pull
out the call from that.

So far its not much better.  I'll experiment more but its not a signal I'd put on the air.

Allison