Re: Powering that QCX: DC-DC Converters

Steve in Okinawa

Today i made the second field outing with my QCX40, primarily to test a new inverted-L setup before going full SOTA this weekend. After trying several power options, including power tool battery (heavy!) and a buck converter with a nifty V-mA display (unreliable), I'm happy with 4 18650 cells. I get 15.5 volts that the QCX seems to like, putting out nearly 5 watts. They last many hours, and while they do take some time to recharge, the pack is small and light. An inline fuse is the only addition. Incidentally, my QCX seems unusually tolerant of high vswrs. Maybe due to Hans' personal touch.