Re: Balloon breaking previous records U3B-25

HF

Hi Dave,
I fully agree with you that the meteorological radiosonde balloons and payloads are a vastly larger contribution to the planet's pollution load than the balloons we're discussing here.  In addition to lodging complaints to NOAA and EC as citizens, hams might be able to contribute to a technical contribution to reduce the problem.  If RDF beacons were added to these balloon payloads and the design were adjusted to somehow keep the balloon material together as shreds rather than fragments, then a maybe sport of sorts could develop in which people search for, find, and retrieve them as an RDF exercise.  I'll think about how I might contact someone who is involved in this aspect of meteorology for a discussion.
Cheers,
Halden VE7UTS