Re: OLED screen for QCX

Hans Summers

Hi James

If you want to send me one of the ones that doesn't work I can see if there is an easy timing modification I can do, to fix it.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 9:28 AM <qrplabs@...> wrote:
Ahoy folks,

I've been digging options for getting an OLED working with my QCX.  The biggest issue that I keep running into is the timing requirements of these displays, as mentioned above.  They needs some slightly different delays to behave properly, but they do work.  That being said, here's what I've encountered thus far as I've experimented with these displays:
  • Mircrotips OLED (https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/668-REC001602AYPP5N - the picture is wrong in this listing) My first choice, if only for the sunlight readability.  5V, same pinout, same interface expectations.  Only issues are some wandering text / other artifacts due to the aforementioned timing.  But for that, this sunlight readable OLED would be an awesome upgrade. Datasheet reports a typical power draw of 46mA, max draw of 54mA, not verified.  Interestingly, the display manufacturer sticker says "RAYSTAR"
  • Adafruit OLED a.k.a. Winstar (https://www.adafruit.com/product/823) - Was a bit surprised to discover that, by all indications, this is the same board as above.  Winstar, Raystar, and New Haven (below) are all the exact same board.  Same silk screen, same layout, same everything.  And the same behavior.  This one is a nice shade of blue, but beyond that, same as above. Datasheet reports 30mA typically, no listed max, not verified.
  • New Haven (https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/newhaven-display-intl/NHD-0216KZW-AY5/NHD-0216KZW-AY5-ND/2626454) - Same song and dance as above. Datasheet reports 30mA typically, 50mA max, not verified.  Has a few more color options than the others.
  • New Haven (https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/newhaven-display-intl/NHD-0216SZW-BB5/NHD-0216SZW-BB5-ND/6564817) - slightly different in that this is a larger display.  pinout is a bit different, arranged 16,15,1-14 rather than 1-16.  Works if you take the time to breadboard it up, but not a direct plug in option.  A bit more power usage, with the datasheet reporting typical 62mA draw and a max of 65mA, but what do you expect for a larger display?
  • Vishay Dale - Not actually purchased, but from photos / datasheets, it appears again to be the same board as the others.

So to sum it up: there are a number of OLED options that plug in and sort-of work.  Without the timing modifications to the source code, the radio is semi-usable, but annoying.  This is a modification / improvement that will have to wait for either some Hans time or for a new OLED producer to show up with a chipset that does a better job of emulating the LCD 16x2 options that are currently on the market.

James
ww0o