Re: stiff encoder? Try WD-40!

John

Your daughter's initials aren't WD by any chance, are they Jim?

John G4EDX
Nottingham

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 at 21:11, James Daldry W4JED <jim@...> wrote:

Hi, Guys

I once had a 3-year-old daughter get into a can of oil-base orange trim paint and pretty much coat herself from stem to stern. Took care of the problem by washing her from stem to stern with WD-40. Gave her a regular soap-and-water bath as a follow-up. No hard scrubbing required, and not a peep out of her. She's now 34 years old with 4 kids of her own, so I don't think I broke anything.

Jim

On 1/22/19 12:46 PM, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io wrote:
I think I still have some of that graphite for locks somewhere.
Still have it cuz I always just squirt WD40 into my locks.
Never noticed any trouble with them gumming up from dust.

Incidentally, if you really have some seriously rusty bolts to break free
while disassembling that Model T Ford you found, there is better than WD40:
    https://www.engineeringforchange.org/news/how-to-make-penetrating-oil/
I've often heard a 50% mix of acetone and ATF, but you have to shake that
well just before using, and of course give it time to penetrate.
But WD40 is convenient, and also is also a light lubricant.
Oh, and is dynamite on fishing lures.

Jerry

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 09:22 AM, Jerry Gaffke wrote:
Many of us have products for locks sitting in a drawer these last few decades
that might be worth a try as a lubricant.