white blocks of death yet again

Bob Benedict, KD8CGH

read and followed the trouble-shooting doc and group posts with no progress.

Details: I had successfully built an Ultimate3S with QLG1 GPS so I decided to order a 30
meter and a 40 meter QCX kits when they were announced.  Recently I built the 40 meter QCX.
During the build I did the L5 mod. On power up I see a top row of blocks no matter how I
adjust the contrast. I then tried everything in that section of the trouble-shooting doc.

I re re rechecked all solder connections and looked for solder bridges. All components are installed and everything looks fine.

I can hear the 20 MHz oscillator in another receiver.

I rechecked the chip several times. All pins are seated and none are bent. I also swapped the chip with the one from the 30 meter kit with no change. I also swapped the LCD for the one in the 30 meter kit and still no joy.

Any suggestions what to try next?