Re: QCX-going off board

Adrian Scripcă

Hi Hans,

I stand corrected! I totally forgot that the encoder switches are latches and not momentary ones. I must have been too tired.  Sorry for providing false info, Paul and thanks Hans for catching it!

73! Adrian, YO6SSW

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018, 23:56 Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:
Hi Paul

I don't agree with Adrian (sorry Adrian OM).

The output of the encoder is quadrature. There are four states of the internal switch contacts. In ONE of those states, both internal switches are open and in this case, it would be Ok to connect the new rotary encoder in parallel with the existing one. But in THREE of the four states, one or both of the switches are closed. This will prevent correct operation of another rotary encoder in parallel. I'm not sure that the "detent" positions correspond to the both-open switches state.

The buttons can be left on the QCX board.

The gain pot needs to be removed, as Adrian noted.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018, 23:50 paul wegwert <chico.wegwert@...> wrote:
Adrian,

Thanks,

I kind of thought so. It is easier to unsolder three connections than five.

Paul
KD9JYV