Re: Hans, a request to consider please?

Adrian Scripcă

Hi all,

Since Romania is an Orthodox country, it means the Easter is due this Sunday. This in turn means that the Easter bunny was hard at work and it's time to bring some presents. Here's a new release with some features that I was working on for the last days, namely edit and show.

The edit feature allows one to quickly edit an .eep file in-place by issuing one command, without having to first convert to JSON, edit the file with a text editor and then convert back to .eep.
The show feature allows one to quickly view value of a variable currently configured in an existing .eep without having to convert it to JSON first.

Usage examples:

Enabling the first transmission slot:
    u3s-eeprom-tool edit mike.eep transmissions[0].enabled true

Updating the eeprom message with one that contains three submessages (note the use of pipe character as message delimiter)
    u3s-eeprom-tool edit bob.eep message "CQ DE ZL1RS|C# M#|HELLO WORLD"

Checking the mode of the second transmission
    u3s-eeprom-tool show chris.eep transmissions[1].mode

Checking the whole second transmission
    u3s-eeprom-tool show chris.eep transmissions[1]

The error reporting has also been improved in order to be more meaningful and the help system was also improved with extra details and usage examples.

You can find the version containing the new features here: http://hq.scene.ro/u3s-eeprom-tool/v1-12-g18e1199/

Some words about the command-line rationale and future developments.
There were a couple of reasons in going for a command line tool for editing the eeproms, namely:
  • it needs to be fast, small and able to run by itself without forcing the user to install any other dependencies
  • it needs to be able to run offline, without requiring the use of a connection (think of when you're somewhere remote with a laptop and you want to reprogram your U3S)
  • it needs to be able to be ran on all major used OS-es
  • it needs to be command line based so that it will be possible to make it part of an automated tool chain for whatever reasons. Besides the visual feedback displayed to the user, whenever a command is being ran the program returns an exit code to the OS whether the command was successful or not. This makes it able to include it in automation scripts
However, some people might be more comfortable with a GUI at different times. I have pondered long on the available options and I decided to develop a web based GUI frontend for the tool which will allow anyone to drag and drop an eep file onto a page, edit the desired settings and then download the new .eep file given there is enough interest for this, of course. Writing a desktop GUI is not practical due to platform/OS fragmentation and the toll that will be placed upon users in order to be able to install/run the graphical tool.

So please let me know your thoughts.

73! Adrian, YO6SSW

On Sat, Apr 7, 2018 at 12:51 PM, Chris Wilson <chris@...> wrote:
Hello Adrian,

Thanks for the info and apologies for doubting what I saw! ;)
I'll have a play with the new version later, much appreciated!

 Saturday, April 7, 2018

--

 2E0ILY
Best regards,