Re: No Transmit QCX

James Daldry W4JED

On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 14:36:20 +0100
"Alan de G1FXB via Groups.Io" <g1fxb@...> wrote:

And just the right time of year for an 'Easter Egg'
I wonder if Han's ever wrote any software for Atari?

Good luck !

Alan

On 04/04/2018 13:47, James Daldry W4JED wrote:
On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 11:37:35 +0100
"Alan de G1FXB via Groups.Io" <g1fxb@...> wrote:

James W4JED,

    if it's not too late, before you discover it the hard way...
The kit designer has implemented a gotcha to discourage
unauthorised copies of the QCX being built.
Burning a non genuine QRP-Labs supplied ATmega IC will not result
in a functioning QCX,
(I believe it's being reported elsewhere it displays something to
the effect 'none genuine'?)

https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/message/17805

You should be OK to reflash the original IC.

You may wish to review the Mods / Trouble shooting pages, to see if
yours is a result of incomplete MCU boot / reset
Also separate comment specifically in the*Buttons / rotary encoder
don't work properly* section, highlighting need to check / modify
if necessary if yours is a Ver 1/2 PCB.

https://www.qrp-labs.com/qcx/qcxtrouble.html#digital

Looking over the past posts when used before a factory reset, it
has being reported to 'fix' some side tone / no alignment signal
'funnies' where the MCU saved data becomes corrupt,
Sometimes it goes beyond repair?
It may fix your keying signal working in one function and not
another, may be not?
It won't cost anything to check.

Alan

On 02/04/2018 14:41, James Daldry W4JED wrote:
On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 18:15:54 -0700
"Jim Carlson"<tshotshoto@...> wrote:

Hi Jack,

I'd be happy to look at your QCX with the commitment on your part
that no money changes hands!  I'm just happy to help.  I have
built one QCX but it worked the first time so I don't have
experience trouble shooting but I am a retired electronics
engineer (from Motorola) so I have a lot of experience.  I have
the proper test equipment for this task.  Let me know if you
would like to send it to me.  My contact information is correct
on qrz.com.

73,
Jim W7EED
Hi, Jim

For about 10 years at my last job (1988 - 2010) I repaired VCR's
and camcorders almost exclusively - maybe 40 a week. Yes, most of
these were mechanical problems - belts, etc - but a fair number
were logic problems. Most of these, in turn, were things like bad
pickup coils, bad hall effect devices, bad optocouplers, etc, but
a significant fraction were microcontroller problems. VCR's have
anywhere from no micro's (Panasonic NV-8170, with 2 large boards
full of CMOS), to 6 or 7, depending on how servo systems were
designed. Some micro's had blown cmos capacitors on input pins
(circuit is loaded down by the input pin, and can be made to work
by adding a current amplifier), weak output "totem poles", etc,
but occasionally you would have bad firmware like a whole family
of Matsushita 1985 decks that would burn the front load assembly
motor because there was no timeout on the basket motor drive. The
replacement was MN15846VRG3, which replaced one without the 3. We
kept 2 of that one in stock.

In this case I have a key_out line that is not responding to the
NOT_dit signal, but does respond to the keyer code practice
function. So the output pin is good. When you disable the key_out
by pulling the pin out of the socket, the s-meter goes full-scale
on key presses. The dit pin is functioning. The only thing between
them is the micro and its program. So - I've downloaded the hex
file and will be firing up avrdude to burn it to one of my own
'328's. I have a current-limitted supply so I won't be letting the
magic smoke out. Thanks for volunteering, but I think I have this
handled.

73

Jim Daldry W4JED

Hi, Guys

The bogus chip message is "Use original IC!". Ask me how I know.
Anyway, since the original is burned to use a crystal oscillator it
won't work off-board, so I spent yesterday evening wiring up an
in-circuit programming cable, tracing the wires from the socket
pins on the usbasp to the pins on the socket. Sometime today I'll
be trying it out. Here's hoping!

Jim

Hey, Guys

Guess what! Now I have TWO chips that give the message "Use original
IC!" Looks like I'll be buying a pre-flashed chip. Looks like the
purpose of posting the firmware was to see who is "dumb" enough to try
it with the original. Oh, well. You live and learn. Also you learn who
not to buy stuff from in the future.

Jim Daldry W4JED