Re: coils and glue

Allen Poland

Copy that Michael.  Thank you.  Who said “old dogs can’t learn new tricks?”

From: QRPLabs@groups.io [mailto:QRPLabs@groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Clarke
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2018 2:42 PM
To: QRPLabs@groups.io
Subject: Re: [QRPLabs] coils and glue

Hi Allen - no need to mess up the soldering iron tip. The heat from being near  the tip or  body round the heating element is enough to melt beeswax. It need never touch the soldering iron tip, and if it does goes liquid and drops off. 73 Michael Mi5MTC

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 5:22 PM, Allen Poland <atpoland@...> wrote:

Michael:  Thank you for your input.  Never considered or ever used beeswax in my life.  I doubt if that stuff  is available in this “black hole” of WV!  Maybe commode seal….. I don’t know what is used here anymore. Only drawback I can see is messing up the soldering iron tip.

From: QRPLabs@groups.io [mailto:QRPLabs@groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Clarke
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2018 9:07 AM
To: QRPLabs@groups.io
Subject: Re: [QRPLabs] coils and glue

BEESWAX - The old-fashioned option of beeswax is perhaps best of all. It is hard, solid with smooth surface, and sets likewise, without hot glue's whiskers catching untidy all around.

Held over the target with a hot soldering iron near, it melts readily, runs and drips into place. 

Likewise, to remove, it again melts with modest heat held near.

I got mine from a hard ware shop that had supplies used by furniture makers and polishers.

Not a new idea, copied from George Dobbs's QRP writings.

And widel used in the early days of radio home construction, from before the word electronics was invented.

73 Michael Mi5MTC

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 12:42 PM, Graham <planophore@...> wrote:

Al,

Both would work BUT epoxy is near impossible to remove if the need ever arises. Hot glue can be messy but many use it.

I however prefer to use nail polish; two or three applications will keep things from moving around.

Just about any kind will do but some of the premiere brands are a bit better. I like "Sally hansen Telon Tuff nail protector" only because someone else suggested this brand and after comparing to another it "seemed" to work a bit better in the way I was using it. I just get my wife to get me some when she is at the store. A couple of different colours are good for marking or identifying different things. Not very expensive, it takes about a year for me to use one small bottle and I build stuff quite a bit.

cheers, Graham ve3gtc

On 2018-03-10 05:45, Allen Poland wrote:

I’ve been wondering if hot clue or epoxy (clear) would have any detrimental effect on the LPF coils and the transformer in the QCX 20m kit?

Al

<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=icon>         Virus-free. www.avast.com <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=link>

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

--

Mick Mi5mtc
LOC IO64EL
GQRP 9630
FISTS 7740

--

Mick Mi5mtc
LOC IO64EL
GQRP 9630
FISTS 7740

Join QRPLabs@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.