Re: Toroid winding numbers and measurements

J68HZ

Its important to test your inductors against known standards (inductor of a known inductance).  Just reading your LC meter and believing it can be very deceiving.

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ 8P6HK ZF2HZ PJ4/K9HZ VP5/K9HZ PJ2/K9HZ

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton - J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

email:  bill@...

On Nov 1, 2017, at 2:26 PM, Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@...> wrote:

< If I measure with a Fluke LCR mter that's still
in  calibration  it  measures at (from memory) 100kHz. But if I use my
AIM4170  analyser  I  can  measure inductance at the frequency the amp
will  be  run at, and the inductance value is somewhat different.

Chris,

Somewhat? How much?
What type of inductor?

I've seem Lee's warning many times, I want to know when the variation might be significant.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

This
variance  is  of  course  more marked the higher infrequency above the
Fluke test frequency the inductor under test will ACTUALLY see in use.
I  suppose  a  spectrum  analyser with a tracking generator would be a
better tool still for messing with them.