Re: QCX was OK #chat

Ian G4GIR

Hi Steve

Well, your problem is very similar to mine.

However When I first powered up and aligned it all was fine.
But after probably around 1/2 hour of sporadic CW TX and WSPR TX (got signals across the pond at 20:00z)  I noticed the power was fluctuating a bit like only 0.5 a watt variation.

Any way I switched off and the following morning the same problem as yours.

After a few e-mails with Hans I got the power back. It turned out to be Q6 that had failed, I was also using a duff dummy load which didn’t help. Originally my dummy load was ok. Some how it got swapped for one O/C, FINGER TROUBLE.

I like you saw similar wave forms at the gate, Hans said that was due to the 50MHz scope I was using but he was concerned  about the levels.

I changed the MPS 2907 for an MPS751. My TX was restored. A good 5W out.  However!! at initial key down the TX draws 1.0A with about 1 watt out, re key and its fine again. I found that there was 13 v on the drains at initial key down and after keying once that returned to 0v.

I have asked Hans about this anomaly but still waiting.

However mine has gone to pot now. I decided to carry out the re-alignment process, NO 700Hz  during the alignment just a horrible noise coming from the speaker and none of the adjustments vary which you may expect. To add to the problems I can still get 5 Watts out but the CW note is terrible.

This one has taken a large amount of time and have put it on the shelf for a while.
Will look at it again with a fresh outlook on it. But to date a bit disappointed with it. Mine is the 17m version.

Hope you get sorted.

73

Ian G4GIR