Re: RD15HVF1 x RD06HVF1 (not the IRF510)

J68HZ

Good work!

I'm not sure what your overall goal is.  Just experimentation for now or making the PA as broad banded as possible?  Again from my last note it is likely that T1 has too much inductance above 24 MHz or so.  You should back off the number of turns on T1.  My rough calculations say that 7 turns is optimum (instead of 10) above 24 MHz. The blocking capacitors are too large too (although this is less of a problem).  They should be 0.1 at 30 MHz and 0.01 at 50 MHz. Some experimentation is required to find the optimum. One thing,  it looks like something may be wrong with your 18 MHz filter. You might check to make sure it is built correctly.

If i get a chance, ill build my PA kit this weekend. I will use mine on 144 MHz so this should be a real challenge.

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ 8P6HK ZF2HZ PJ4/K9HZ VP5/K9HZ PJ2/K9HZ

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton - J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

email:  bill@...

On Feb 23, 2017, at 8:25 AM, Roney Monte <roneymonte@...> wrote:

Hello Dr. William, as docment says: "The recommended 10 trifilar turns on transformer T1 are suitable for the whole of HF but perhaps not optimum at the extremes. It would be worth experimenting with fewer turns at the upper frequency turns and perhaps more turns at MF/LF e.g. the 600m band.".

I don't know if I should change its turns, maybe fewer or more turns for 3.5 mhz / 50 mhz ?

Here goes my latest compiled 'best results' achieved, using PSU at 13.8v, trying not to get the irradiator too warm, watching "quality of signal" (fewer harmonics and shape) in SDR receptor, using the RD06HVF1 transistor (rated for 6 watts); I evaluated JT65, JT9, WSPR and CW at 40 wpm (readed using Cw Skimmer) emissions;

07 mhz: PA Bias 3.00v ; U3S Bias 1.70v ; 2~4 watts ; high warming
10 mhz: PA Bias 3.33v ; U3S Bias 2.00v ; 4.5~5 watts ; no warming
14 mhz: PA Bias 3.33v ; U3S Bias 2.00v ; 3.5~6 watts ; no warming
18 mhz: PA Bias 3.33v ; U3S Bias 2.00v ; 1~1.4 watts ; no warming
21 mhz: PA Bias 3.25v ; U3S Bias 2.00v ; 3~3.7 watts ; medium warming
24 mhz: PA Bias 3.25v ; U3S Bias 2.00v ; 2~4 watts ; no warming
28 mhz: PA Bias 3.25v ; U3S Bias 2.00v ; 0.5~1.9 watts ; medium warming
50 mhz: PA Bias 3.33v ; U3S Bias 2.00v ; 0.2~1.7 watts (maybe more) ; no warming

In all tests the current varied from 300 to 950 mA; in idle mode it was 105 mA.

Next step is to test the RD16HHF (rated for 16 watts), I will add 3.5 mhz band, in few weeks to come.
I accept (and need) tricks, tips and advices about the best practices.

Thanks,
73 de PY1ZB
Roney Monte

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 4:50 PM, K9HZ <bill@...> wrote:

“I think that RD06HVF1 have warmed more on 7mhz because its is not in optimum transistor performance range.”

Optimum performance range?  The RDxx series transistors are true RF transistors and should perform perfectly from DC to UHF…, in fact much better than the IRF510 which were designed as motor and power supply switches.  Nothing wrong with the IRF devices but the RDxx series will have better RF characteristics like lower capacitance, higher frequency response, and a better IO mapping (linearity).

I have not investigated my PA kit yet (probably because I have one of my own design working). While Hans is a pretty good engineer and designed this kit to work for most conditions… my guess would be that T1, C1, C2, C3, C6 are not optimal for the RDxx device over the entire 1-50 MHz range.  In fact, I would be very surprised if they were.   My back of the envelope calculations say that the capacitors should all be 0.01 and T1 needs 3 fewer turns than at 7 MHz… but those are only my estimates.

Make sure you built T1 correctly!!!  From your output results, I ‘d say that is a good place to check.

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator