Topics

Remote control -- or just a hardware remote for the BYPASS button and LED

Al Ludwick / NN4ZZ

Mike and Group,
Has there been any progress (or an ETA) on the "remote control" application for a PC? It would be nice to see all of the LED status on a PC application and be able to remote control the amp but my primary interest is the BYPASS button and status. I can't see the LED from my operating position and have to get up to see the status or reset it when it times out.

If the full blown PC app is not in our future, I'd like to investigate a hardware solution just for the BYPASS button and LED. The enhancement would be to add a remote LED and SWITCH for the BYPASS button. I don't want to shut the amp down (which I could do with the "remote on" line), I just want to see the BYPASS status and toggle the button from my position.

I'm going to build a data cable interface from a new radio (FLEX 6x00) in a few months and will take the same "break out box" approach I used when interfacing the DX2400 with my FTDX9000 and SteppIR. I could incorporate the BYPASS switch and LED in the box at the same time.

A schematic would help or some directions....to make it a little easier. But if the remote application is in our future, that would be even better.

Regards and Merry Xmas to all.

Al / NN4ZZ

-- In PrometheusDX2400@..., "Steve Bolia" wrote:

Hi Al

I've talked to Mike about the remote panel a couple of times (we chat quite
often). Because the amp is so big it is hard to mount it where the front
panel is visible and easily accessible. We've had a few issues with
integrating the amp into my station and Mike has been great. Dealing with
SO2R, computer logging and Top Ten band decoders and WX0B antenna switches
is something he was not familiar with (but he is now!!) The ICOM is the
issue. CIV control works okay with the amp but you can't get the CIV to
work with the amp and N1MM logger at the same time. Think we have a
work-around that will fix that. At some point, I think the amp firmware
will be updated to handle this.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:PrometheusDX2400@...] On Behalf Of NN4ZZ
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 11:38 AM
To: PrometheusDX2400@...
Subject: [PrometheusDX2400] Re: New member

Steve,
Welcome to the group, it is small and not very active yet. (the amp just
works, so that may be part of the reason). I enjoyed reading the CQ
review, hopefully it will generate some more interest and awareness.

I'm anxiously awaiting the enhancement to provide a "remote control" program
so I can view the status and control the amp from my PC. I know Mike is
working on it and hope we hear more soon.

73, Al

--- In PrometheusDX2400@..., "steve_bolia" wrote:

Hi

I'm Steve, N8BJQ

I own unit #7 with the SO2R board and the switching PS. Pretty active
contesters (mostly CW and RTTY with some talking stuff once or twice a
year). Also chase DX.

Love the amp - bought one after I did the review for CQ. Rigs are an IC
756ProIII and a K3 with mono banders for 10-40 and wires for 80/160. Set up
for SO2R contesting.

Have made several thousand Q's with this amp and also the review unit
(which was a different one). No smoke yet which is a good thing.

Getting set up for fully automated band and antenna switching and computer
logging with both radios.

Steve

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

Steven M. \(Mike\) dishop

I don't have a firm date when this feature will be available but I'm working on it.
A hardware solution is not feasible. These are low level, sensitive circuits in a RF environment.
What I can do is remap the TUNE OUTPUT like to pull down when in a bypass mode. In fact, I think the current version of firmware is activating this pull down whenever there is a fault that takes the amp off line.
It might be possible to use the TUNE INPUT line for Bypass key function. I need to think some about this.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to Everyone! Thank you for another great year!

73-Mike N8WFF

From: PrometheusDX2400@... [mailto:PrometheusDX2400@...] On Behalf Of NN4ZZ
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:43 PM
Subject: [PrometheusDX2400] Remote control -- or just a hardware remote for the BYPASS button and LED

Mike and Group,
Has there been any progress (or an ETA) on the "remote control" application for a PC? It would be nice to see all of the LED status on a PC application and be able to remote control the amp but my primary interest is the BYPASS button and status. I can't see the LED from my operating position and have to get up to see the status or reset it when it times out.

If the full blown PC app is not in our future, I'd like to investigate a hardware solution just for the BYPASS button and LED. The enhancement would be to add a remote LED and SWITCH for the BYPASS button. I don't want to shut the amp down (which I could do with the "remote on" line), I just want to see the BYPASS status and toggle the button from my position.

I'm going to build a data cable interface from a new radio (FLEX 6x00) in a few months and will take the same "break out box" approach I used when interfacing the DX2400 with my FTDX9000 and SteppIR. I could incorporate the BYPASS switch and LED in the box at the same time.

A schematic would help or some directions....to make it a little easier. But if the remote application is in our future, that would be even better.

Al / NN4ZZ

Hi Al

I've talked to Mike about the remote panel a couple of times (we chat quite often). Because the amp is so big it is hard to mount it where the front panel is visible and easily accessible. We've had a few issues with integrating the amp into my station and Mike has been great. Dealing with SO2R, computer logging and Top Ten band decoders and WX0B antenna switches is something he was not familiar with (but he is now!!) The ICOM is the issue. CIV control works okay with the amp but you can't get the CIV to work with the amp and N1MM logger at the same time. Think we have a work-around that will fix that. At some point, I think the amp firmware will be updated to handle this.

Steve

Steve,

I'm anxiously awaiting the enhancement to provide a "remote control" program so I can view the status and control the amp from my PC. I know Mike is working on it and hope we hear more soon.

73, Al

Hi

I'm Steve, N8BJQ

I own unit #7 with the SO2R board and the switching PS. Pretty active contesters (mostly CW and RTTY with some talking stuff once or twice a year). Also chase DX.

Love the amp - bought one after I did the review for CQ. Rigs are an IC 756ProIII and a K3 with mono banders for 10-40 and wires for 80/160. Set up for SO2R contesting.

Have made several thousand Q's with this amp and also the review unit (which was a different one). No smoke yet which is a good thing.

Getting set up for fully automated band and antenna switching and computer logging with both radios.

Steve

Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links

Al Ludwick / NN4ZZ

Hello Mike,
Glad to hear the remote control application is being worked on. That would be the ultimate solution.

However the idea to map a line on the BAND DATA connector that would toggle the BYPASS button would be great.

In looking at the documentation for the BAND DATA connector in figure 6, pin 11 is the TUNE line (i.e. the future BYPASS status). I don't see a line labeled TUNE INPUT that you suggested might be used for the BYPASS toggle. Were you referring to one of these or something else?

pin 2 - KEY IN
pin 6 - PTT IN

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

--- In PrometheusDX2400@..., "Steven M. Dishop" <steven.dishop@...> wrote:

I don't have a firm date when this feature will be available but I'm working on it.
A hardware solution is not feasible. These are low level, sensitive circuits in a RF environment.
What I can do is remap the TUNE OUTPUT like to pull down when in a bypass mode. In fact, I think the current version of firmware is activating this pull down whenever there is a fault that takes the amp off line.
It might be possible to use the TUNE INPUT line for Bypass key function. I need to think some about this.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to Everyone! Thank you for another great year!

73-Mike N8WFF

Subject: [PrometheusDX2400] Remote control -- or just a hardware remote for the BYPASS button and LED

Mike and Group,

Al / NN4ZZ

Hi Al

I've talked to Mike about the remote panel a couple of times (we chat quite often). Because the amp is so big it is hard to mount it where the front panel is visible and easily accessible. We've had a few issues with integrating the amp into my station and Mike has been great. Dealing with SO2R, computer logging and Top Ten band decoders and WX0B antenna switches is something he was not familiar with (but he is now!!) The ICOM is the issue. CIV control works okay with the amp but you can't get the CIV to work with the amp and N1MM logger at the same time. Think we have a work-around that will fix that. At some point, I think the amp firmware will be updated to handle this.

Steve

Steve,

I'm anxiously awaiting the enhancement to provide a "remote control" program so I can view the status and control the amp from my PC. I know Mike is working on it and hope we hear more soon.

73, Al

Hi

I'm Steve, N8BJQ

I own unit #7 with the SO2R board and the switching PS. Pretty active contesters (mostly CW and RTTY with some talking stuff once or twice a year). Also chase DX.

Love the amp - bought one after I did the review for CQ. Rigs are an IC 756ProIII and a K3 with mono banders for 10-40 and wires for 80/160. Set up for SO2R contesting.

Have made several thousand Q's with this amp and also the review unit (which was a different one). No smoke yet which is a good thing.

Getting set up for fully automated band and antenna switching and computer logging with both radios.

Steve

Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links

Steven M. \(Mike\) dishop

Al,
That would be because there is no tune input... oops. So the best I could do is give an alarm condition on the tune output and that is what the commercial model does..
73-Mike

Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:28 PM
Subject: [PrometheusDX2400] Re: Remote control -- or just a hardware remote for the BYPASS button and LED

Hello Mike,
Glad to hear the remote control application is being worked on. That would be the ultimate solution.

However the idea to map a line on the BAND DATA connector that would toggle the BYPASS button would be great.

In looking at the documentation for the BAND DATA connector in figure 6, pin 11 is the TUNE line (i.e. the future BYPASS status). I don't see a line labeled TUNE INPUT that you suggested might be used for the BYPASS toggle. Were you referring to one of these or something else?

pin 2 - KEY IN
pin 6 - PTT IN

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

--- In PrometheusDX2400@..., "Steven M. Dishop" <steven.dishop@...> wrote:

73-Mike N8WFF

Subject: [PrometheusDX2400] Remote control -- or just a hardware
remote for the BYPASS button and LED

Mike and Group,

Al / NN4ZZ

Hi Al

Steve

Steve,

73, Al

Hi

I'm Steve, N8BJQ

Steve

Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links