Topics

Digest Number 73

Bill AA7XT

I did speak with Mike Dishop later yesterday. Initial diagnosis is my fluctuating line voltage (I have had to use the 220 240 and 260 taps at different times) and repeated OV faults has led to the failure of a transistor (I2 error ["eye two"]).

Lesson learned: the switching PS is probably a better selection for QTHs like mine. I have the linear PS.

Curious about the line filter - does it regulate voltage before it hits the amp? Brand? Model?

Since I am sending back the amp to Ohio for service, Mike has suggested updating the transistors to more rugged designs that have become available since my amp was built (sn 0011). Anyone out there do this upgrade? Worth the investment?

73
Bill AA7XT

On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 5:33 AM, <PrometheusDX2400@...> wrote:

3 Messages

Digest #73
1a
OV error by "William Hein" bill.aa7xt
1b
1c
Re: OV error by "E. Jackson" wz8p

Messages

1a

OV error

Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:51 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"William Hein" bill.aa7xt

I am getting an OV error regardless of which tap I have the linear PS set
to - 220, 240 or 260 V

My line voltage today is 244 V

Bad timing - FT4FA DXpedition started today and my amp is offline!

Asking for help here as Mike D is unavailable right now.

Tnx
Bill AA7XT

1b

Re: OV error

Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:12 am (PDT) . Posted by:

nn4zz

Bill, Here are 2 things to look at. Easiest first......

1 - check the power cables between the power supply and RF deck. They can pull out due to the weight and cause errors. Re-seat the cables to insure a good connection.

2 - measure the voltage coming from the power supply, it should be around 72V. The pinout is in the power supply manual on page 17. (if you don't have the manual, I can post a snapshot of the page). This may give some clue as to whether the voltage is really off and whether problem is in the power supply or metering in the RF deck. For reference mine measured 74.5 V last time I checked.

Hope it helps and good luck with FT4TA

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

.

1c

Re: OV error

Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:18 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"E. Jackson" wz8p

I had the same problem and found that voltage coming in the house was

not always the same. I put a line filter on the amp and now all is fine.
73,
Everett - WZ8P

On Friday, October 31, 2014 2:12 PM, "al@... [PrometheusDX2400]" <PrometheusDX2400@...> wrote:

Bill,
Here are 2 things to look at. Easiest first......

1 - check the power cables between the power supply and RF deck. They can pull out due to the weight and cause errors. Re-seat the cables to insure a good connection.

2 - measure the voltage coming from the power supply, it should be around 72V. The pinout is in the power supply manual on page 17. (if you don't have the manual, I can post a snapshot of the page). This may give some clue as to whether the voltage is really off and whether problem is in the power supply or metering in the RF deck. For reference mine measured 74.5 V last time I checked.

Hope it helps and good luck with FT4TA

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

.