Topics

Digest Number 74

Bill AA7XT

A local ham (K0UK) loaned me one of the Alpha 87A amps he uses for SO2R so
I'm QRV with a kW while the Dishtronix is serviced. Happy to say five FT4TA
QSOs in the log and looking for more.

I took a look at the 1S43F transformer and not sure how that would help me.
I can already adjust buck and boost with jumpers in the Dishtronix PS. My
problem is my line voltage goes all over the place faster than I can swap
PS wires.

Questions for the group:

(1) Any downside to the Dishtronix switching PS?

(2) Anyone had the transistor upgrade?

Bill

On Sun, Nov 2, 2014 at 3:36 AM, <PrometheusDX2400@...> wrote:

[image: Yahoo! Groups]
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo;_ylc=X3oDMTJlN3BhMWwwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIzNTU0NzI3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNnZnAEc3RpbWUDMTQxNDkyNDYwMg-->
Prometheus DX2400 Solid State Amplifier Group
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PrometheusDX2400/info;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZXFlYXFoBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIzNTU0NzI3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDaGRyBHNsawNocGgEc3RpbWUDMTQxNDkyNDYwMg-->
5 Messages
Digest #74
1a
Re: Digest Number 73 <#1497014127af758b_1a> by "William Hein" bill.aa7xt
1b
Re: Digest Number 73 <#1497014127af758b_1b> by "E. Jackson" wz8p
1c
Re: Digest Number 73 <#1497014127af758b_1c> by "E. Jackson" wz8p
2a
I2 and OV errors <#1497014127af758b_2a> by "William Hein" bill.aa7xt
2b
Re: I2 and OV errors <#1497014127af758b_2b> by "Steve Bolia" steve_bolia

Messages
1a Re: Digest Number 73
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PrometheusDX2400/conversations/topics/147;_ylc=X3oDMTJxZDlzM3EyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIzNTU0NzI3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMxNDcEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Ztc2cEc3RpbWUDMTQxNDkyNDYwMg-->
Sat Nov 1, 2014 5:30 am (PDT) . Posted by: "William Hein" bill.aa7xt
<bill.aa7xt@...?subject=Re%3A%20Digest%20Number%2073>
I did speak with Mike Dishop later yesterday. Initial diagnosis is my
fluctuating line voltage (I have had to use the 220 240 and 260 taps at
different times) and repeated OV faults has led to the failure of a
transistor (I2 error ["eye two"]).

Lesson learned: the switching PS is probably a better selection for QTHs
like mine. I have the linear PS.

Curious about the line filter - does it regulate voltage before it hits the
amp? Brand? Model?

Since I am sending back the amp to Ohio for service, Mike has suggested
updating the transistors to more rugged designs that have become available
since my amp was built (sn 0011). Anyone out there do this upgrade? Worth
the investment?

73
Bill AA7XT

On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 5:33 AM, <PrometheusDX2400@...> wrote:

[image: Yahoo! Groups]
<
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo;_ylc=X3oDMTJlcGMzNGNyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIzNTU0NzI3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNnZnAEc3RpbWUDMTQxNDg0MTYwNg--

Prometheus DX2400 Solid State Amplifier Group
<
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PrometheusDX2400/info;_ylc=X3oDMTJlbjhtaGdtBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIzNTU0NzI3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDaGRyBHNsawNocGgEc3RpbWUDMTQxNDg0MTYwNg--

3 Messages
Digest #73
1a
OV error <#1496b21a784b938f_1a> by "William Hein" bill.aa7xt
1b
Re: OV error <#1496b21a784b938f_1b> by nn4zz
1c
Re: OV error <#1496b21a784b938f_1c> by "E. Jackson" wz8p

Messages
1a OV error
<
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PrometheusDX2400/conversations/topics/144;_ylc=X3oDMTJxNDdmMHV0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIzNTU0NzI3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMxNDQEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Ztc2cEc3RpbWUDMTQxNDg0MTYwNg--

Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:51 am (PDT) . Posted by: "William Hein"
bill.aa7xt <bill.aa7xt@...?subject=Re%3A%20OV%20error>
I am getting an OV error regardless of which tap I have the linear PS
set
to - 220, 240 or 260 V

My line voltage today is 244 V

Bad timing - FT4FA DXpedition started today and my amp is offline!

Asking for help here as Mike D is unavailable right now.

Tnx
Bill AA7XT
Reply to sender <bill.aa7xt@...?subject=Re%3A%20OV%20error>
. Reply to group
<PrometheusDX2400@...?subject=Re%3A%20OV%20error> . Reply
via Web Post
<
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PrometheusDX2400/conversations/messages/144;_ylc=X3oDMTJxNWRpZTljBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIzNTU0NzI3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMxNDQEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTQxNDg0MTYwNg--?act=reply&messageNum=144

. All Messages (3)
<
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PrometheusDX2400/conversations/topics/144;_ylc=X3oDMTM0ODdxOWZmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIzNTU0NzI3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMxNDQEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTQxNDg0MTYwNgR0cGNJZAMxNDQ-

. Top ^ <#1496b21a784b938f_toc>
1b Re: OV error
<
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PrometheusDX2400/conversations/topics/145;_ylc=X3oDMTJxNmxsamJoBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIzNTU0NzI3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMxNDUEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Ztc2cEc3RpbWUDMTQxNDg0MTYwNg--

Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:12 am (PDT) . Posted by: nn4zz
<@NN4ZZ?subject=Re%3A%20OV%20error>
Bill, Here are 2 things to look at. Easiest first......

1 - check the power cables between the power supply and RF deck. They can
pull out due to the weight and cause errors. Re-seat the cables to
insure a
good connection.

2 - measure the voltage coming from the power supply, it should be around
72V. The pinout is in the power supply manual on page 17. (if you don't
have the manual, I can post a snapshot of the page). This may give some
clue as to whether the voltage is really off and whether problem is in
the
power supply or metering in the RF deck. For reference mine measured
74.5 V
last time I checked.

Hope it helps and good luck with FT4TA

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

.
Reply to sender <@NN4ZZ?subject=Re%3A%20OV%20error> .
Reply to group
<PrometheusDX2400@...?subject=Re%3A%20OV%20error> . Reply
via Web Post
<
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PrometheusDX2400/conversations/messages/145;_ylc=X3oDMTJxZXFtN2Z0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIzNTU0NzI3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMxNDUEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTQxNDg0MTYwNg--?act=reply&messageNum=145

. All Messages (3)
<
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PrometheusDX2400/conversations/topics/144;_ylc=X3oDMTM0dWtsbDV0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIzNTU0NzI3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMxNDUEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTQxNDg0MTYwNgR0cGNJZAMxNDQ-

. Top ^ <#1496b21a784b938f_toc>
1c Re: OV error
<
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PrometheusDX2400/conversations/topics/146;_ylc=X3oDMTJxaGtlamY5BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIzNTU0NzI3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMxNDYEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Ztc2cEc3RpbWUDMTQxNDg0MTYwNg--

Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:18 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "E. Jackson" wz8p
<wz8p@...?subject=Re%3A%20OV%20error>
I had the same problem and found that voltage coming in the house was

not always the same. I put a line filter on the amp and now all is fine.
73,
Everett - WZ8P

Reply to sender <wz8p@...?subject=Re%3A%20OV%20error> .
Reply to group
<PrometheusDX2400@...?subject=Re%3A%20OV%20error> . Reply
via Web Post
<
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PrometheusDX2400/conversations/messages/146;_ylc=X3oDMTJxMTlwbWoxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIzNTU0NzI3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMxNDYEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTQxNDg0MTYwNg--?act=reply&messageNum=146

. All Messages (3)
<
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PrometheusDX2400/conversations/topics/144;_ylc=X3oDMTM0bjhkNGpzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIzNTU0NzI3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMxNDYEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTQxNDg0MTYwNgR0cGNJZAMxNDQ-

. Top ^ <#1496b21a784b938f_toc>
Visit Your Group
<
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PrometheusDX2400/info;_ylc=X3oDMTJmOHRuaHE4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIzNTU0NzI3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzE0MTQ4NDE2MDY-

[image: Yahoo! Groups]
<
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo;_ylc=X3oDMTJlcGMzNGNyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIzNTU0NzI3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNnZnAEc3RpbWUDMTQxNDg0MTYwNg--

• Privacy <https://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/groups/details.html>

Unsubscribe
<PrometheusDX2400-unsubscribe@...?subject=Unsubscribe> •
Terms
of Use <https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/>
Reply to sender
<bill.aa7xt@...?subject=Re%3A%20Digest%20Number%2073> . Reply to
group
<PrometheusDX2400@...?subject=Re%3A%20Digest%20Number%2073>
. All Messages (3)
. Top ^ <#1497014127af758b_toc>
1b Re: Digest Number 73
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PrometheusDX2400/conversations/topics/150;_ylc=X3oDMTJxMWo4YnFxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIzNTU0NzI3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMxNTAEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Ztc2cEc3RpbWUDMTQxNDkyNDYwMg-->
Sat Nov 1, 2014 10:13 am (PDT) . Posted by: "E. Jackson" wz8p
<wz8p@...?subject=Re%3A%20Digest%20Number%2073>
The line filter that I am using:
Squared D

CAT: 1S43F
1KVA
Schneider Electric
240 to 240

220 to 220

On Saturday, November 1, 2014 8:30 AM, "William Hein bill.aa7xt@...
[...]

OV error by "William Hein" bill.aa7xt
1b
Re: OV error by nn4zz
1c
Re: OV error by "E. Jackson" wz8p
Messages
1a
OV error
Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:51 am (PDT) . Posted by:
"William Hein" bill.aa7xt
I am getting an OV error regardless of which tap I have the linear PS set
to - 220, 240 or 260 V

My line voltage today is 244 V

Bad timing - FT4FA DXpedition started today and my amp is offline!

Asking for help here as Mike D is unavailable right now.

Tnx
Bill AA7XT

Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (3)
. Top ^
1b
Re: OV error

PrometheusDX2400@...> wrote:

[...]

• Privacy • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use
Reply to sender
<wz8p@...?subject=Re%3A%20Digest%20Number%2073> . Reply to group
<PrometheusDX2400@...?subject=Re%3A%20Digest%20Number%2073>
. All Messages (3)
. Top ^ <#1497014127af758b_toc>
1c Re: Digest Number 73
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PrometheusDX2400/conversations/topics/151;_ylc=X3oDMTJxbDVjazRnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIzNTU0NzI3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMxNTEEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Ztc2cEc3RpbWUDMTQxNDkyNDYwMg-->
Sat Nov 1, 2014 2:38 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "E. Jackson" wz8p

On Saturday, November 1, 2014 1:13 PM, "'E. Jackson' wz8p@...

PrometheusDX2400@...> wrote:

[...]

2a I2 and OV errors
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PrometheusDX2400/conversations/topics/148;_ylc=X3oDMTJxZTlubDl2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIzNTU0NzI3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMxNDgEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Ztc2cEc3RpbWUDMTQxNDkyNDYwMg-->
Sat Nov 1, 2014 5:31 am (PDT) . Posted by: "William Hein" bill.aa7xt
<bill.aa7xt@...?subject=Re%3A%20I2%20and%20OV%20errors>
I did speak with Mike Dishop later yesterday. Initial diagnosis is my
fluctuating line voltage (I have had to use the 220 240 and 260 taps at
various times) and repeated OV faults has led to the failure of a
transistor (I2 error ["eye two"]).

Lesson learned: the switching PS is probably a better selection for QTHs
like mine. I have the linear PS.

Curious about the line filter mentioned in a posting - does it
regulate voltage before it hits the amp? Brand? Model?

Since I am sending back the amp to Ohio for service, Mike has suggested
updating the transistors to more rugged designs that have become available
since my amp was built (sn 0011). Anyone out there do this upgrade? Worth
the investment?

73
Bill AA7XT
Reply to sender
<bill.aa7xt@...?subject=Re%3A%20I2%20and%20OV%20errors> . Reply
to group
<PrometheusDX2400@...?subject=Re%3A%20I2%20and%20OV%20errors>
. All Messages (2)
. Top ^ <#1497014127af758b_toc>
2b Re: I2 and OV errors
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PrometheusDX2400/conversations/topics/149;_ylc=X3oDMTJxazZ0MWVpBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIzNTU0NzI3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMxNDkEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Ztc2cEc3RpbWUDMTQxNDkyNDYwMg-->
Sat Nov 1, 2014 7:28 am (PDT) . Posted by: "Steve Bolia" steve_bolia
<sbolia@...?subject=Re%3A%20I2%20and%20OV%20errors>
Bill

I’ve been running the Switching PS since I bought my amp (maybe 4 yrs
ago). 100,000 plus Qs and it has not failed or caused any issues. Also a
lot easier to carry!

73

Steve, N8BJQ

I did speak with Mike Dishop later yesterday. Initial diagnosis is my
fluctuating line voltage (I have had to use the 220 240 and 260 taps at
various times) and repeated OV faults has led to the failure of a
transistor (I2 error ["eye two"]).

Lesson learned: the switching PS is probably a better selection for QTHs
like mine. I have the linear PS.

Curious about the line filter mentioned in a posting - does it regulate

<sbolia@...?subject=Re%3A%20I2%20and%20OV%20errors> . Reply to
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PrometheusDX2400/info;_ylc=X3oDMTJmNmRwMnExBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIzNTU0NzI3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzE0MTQ5MjQ2MDI->