Topics

[ptsw] Antennas or New Radio?

Jim Ronda

Hello Kevin: Jim Ronda here from Tulsa, OK. I regularly use my E-5 as an armchair shortwave radio. I also took it when I was in England for a month. I did a good deal of experimenting with both the provided wire and the whip antenna. Glenn is absolutely right to say that you need an outside antenna for the E-5 to work best. My own experience is that for some reason the provided 30 foot antenna is not as good as the whip. I just did a quick test listening to Kol Israel on 15760 at 1645. I did the test both inside the house and outside. I did string the 30 foot antenna both indoors and outdoors. In both cases the whip gave a stronger, less static-ridden signal. Again -- I wholly agree with Glenn that an outdoor antenna is best for the E-5 altho the provided one doesn't seem to work very well. I currently have my E-5 connected to a outdoor homebrew FlexTenna, essentially an end-fed zep with one leg at 24 feet and the other at 19 feet. That configuration works very well. I'd certainly experiment with the 30 foot wire but I wouldn't give up on the whip, especially when the radio is close to a window.

One additional note about the E-5. It has a nasty habit of taking a very strong signal and repeating it either above or below 900 kHz. So for example, WEWN on 5850 will sometimes appear on 4950. The E-5 may claim to be dual conversation but the 900 kHz repeat point still does happen sometimes!

Welcome to the hobby; I hope you will join NASWA and also pay special attention to Glenn's program and website.

Best regards,

Jim Ronda

Jacques Richer

This is not specific to the E-5 radio - a lot of radios (including my Realistic DX-380) have problems with extremely strong signals. The classic solution to this is to use a long piece of wire as an antenna, and a variable attenuator. When you're using an attenuator, you tune the station you wish to listen to, and then adjust the attenuator to minimize intermod and distortion. Presently, I'm using my DX-380 with a 50 foot concealed (under the eaves) antenna, and a homebrew box that has an MW filter ( to remove strong AM broadcast band signals) and a variable attenuator.

If you want/need plans, I can post them to the list or send them to you in a private email.

Jacques Richer (N1ZZH)

James or Jeanne Ronda wrote:

[...]

Elmer David ESCOTO <elmerescoto@...>

Jacques, Hello.
Please also send it to me, I am interested in your setup, particularly the MW filter, and how you connected everything to the DX-380...

Thanks!

Elmer Escoto
San Pedro Sula, HONDURAS