Antennas or New Radio?

Kevin LeDrew <chefkledrew1@...>

I have an ETON E5 Shortwave Dual Conversion with SSB. For a portable
radio its pretty good outside, however at home next to the window not
so good. With the radio came a 30 foot wire antenna. How do I get the
best use from this wire antenna. Im new at the hobby and enjoy
listening to english broadcasts from abroad. I live on Baffin Island in
Canadas North Arctic, the radios reception outside again is good, But
it is very cold now outside and would like to bring my new hobby
indoors. Any suggestions would be great, or should I purchase a
tabletop radio for indoors?

MikeM

The E5 is an excellent radio in its price range. I have two because
they are so good. this is in addition to the 100 other radios I have.

it sounds like your house has a lot of metal in the walls or the walls
are quite thick. you need to get some wire outside the house and get to
the radio. the antenna input jack attenuates the signal so you might
need to hook it up direct to the whip.

--- In primetimeshortwave@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin LeDrew"
<chefkledrew1@...> wrote:

I have an ETON E5 Shortwave Dual Conversion with SSB. For a portable
radio its pretty good outside, however at home next to the window not
so good. With the radio came a 30 foot wire antenna. How do I get the
best use from this wire antenna. Im new at the hobby and enjoy
listening to english broadcasts from abroad. I live on Baffin Island
in
Canadas North Arctic, the radios reception outside again is good, But
it is very cold now outside and would like to bring my new hobby
indoors. Any suggestions would be great, or should I purchase a
tabletop radio for indoors?

Denny Dollahon <ddollahon@...>

Hi Group,
I just joined and have returned to shortwave listening after about 10
years away. My home radio is a Yaesu FRG-7 and travel radio a Sony ICF-
2010. Anyone in the group have any experience with the FRG-7?
Denny Dollahon.

Kelly <Skofnung@...>

Kevin,

I want to tell you a secret about wire antennas. Copper wire sucks
as a antenna. I know they tell you that it doesn't matter, but it does.
I have done some experiments with different wire and what happened
was I had gone to a RS and picked up some .22 guage hook up wire.
I took it home and put a clip on it and cut it down to about 45 feet to
fit in my reel. I was pleased with it and started using it. I didn't notice
it at first but I was getting the same reception from it as I was from
the whip. I tried it both ways, with and without and it was the same.
I found a short 6ft. piece of 26 guage steel stranded wire and wrapped
one end around the whip and my signal doubled compared to 6ft. of the
new wire which I had laid out next to each other for a good compare. I have
just ordered some copper coated steel wire that is listed as antenna
wire and I will see how it does.

Kelly <Skofnung@...>

Sorry Noble,

That was actually the first time I had posted, even though I have been recieving group E-Mail since it switched to yahoo and before. I just haven't had time to read them all to keep up with the regular member posts. I will try to do better. Anyway, back to the subject.

I have a big V outside with coax running inside the house with a variable attenuator in line. I have noticed I can turn the signal all the way down and still get a little signal to the radio. The thing is that coax has a lot of shielding that is designed to filter out outside signals and keep the signal inside stay there.
The signal I was getting must have come from the little end on the coax.

Now using the shielding of the coax for an antenna is another matter...