Topics

Yahoo groups becoming private

drmccloy@...

Presumably all members of the praat-users group recently got a message saying, among other things:

Beginning December 14, 2019:
  • All Groups will be made private and any content that was previously uploaded via the website will be removed. We believe privacy is critical and made this decision to better align with our overall principles.
  • If you would like to keep any of the content you’ve posted or stored in the past within your Yahoo Group, please download it by December 14 by accessing this link. [link removed]

This means that **all scripts, sound files, etc** that any of you have uploaded here to share with the praat users community will no longer be accessible, and the message threads will only be visible to group members.

Second, all past and future group messages private seems unnecessary for a forum about how to use scientific software, and moreover conflicts with the preference for open and transparent scientific practice and communication that I hold (and that I think many members of this group also share). Put simply, why should a member be forced to log in to find an answer to a praat usage question, and why should a non-member be excluded from finding such answers through a simple web search?

Coupled with the fact that we've had recent complaints about uk.groups.yahoo.com being inaccessible from within China, I believe the time has come to decide as a group whether to migrate the praat users forum to some other web hosting platform (I say yes), and if so, which one, and how to go about migrating the history of the forum (and associated file uploads) if possible.  Anyone who has ideas or recommendations (or anti-recommendations) please weigh in.

My personal opinion is that a simple "mailman" mailing list would be sufficient, since (1) I rarely downloaded files from (and never uploaded files to) the praat-users group website, and there are plenty of other ways to share files (GitHub gists, personal websites, dropbox, osf.io, etc).  What do others think?

-- dan

Daniel McCloy

Research Scientist

Institute for Learning and Brain Sciences

University of Washington

Daniel Hirst

Yahoo has effectively decided (at extremely short notice) that it will no longer support groups as we know them and that all archives and files on the website will be removed on December 14 2019.

I agree entirely that it would be a good thing to migrate the forum to some other platform, preferably one that did not require logging in and/or subscribing to the group.

For information, the Praat users list was founded in March 2000, it currently has 3569 registered members and an archive of over 8600 messages.

I have already downloaded the files, links and messages (but without any attached files) from the website in anticipation of the next move.

I would be grateful for feedback on this from anyone who has experience of setting up this type of forum.

I have already received one suggestion that we migrate to groups.io
They provide a free service and the possibility of transferring all current members and archives but this would require a premium account for at least one year costing 220$ - we currently have no resources to pay for that.

daniel
(list owner)

On 5 Nov 2019, at 01:00, @drammock [praat-users] <praat-users-noreply@...> wrote:

[...]

———————————————————————————————————
alternative emails: <daniel.hirst@...> <daniel.hirst@...>

CNRS Laboratoire Parole et Langage (UMR 7309) - salle A304
Aix-Marseille University, 5 avenue Pasteur BP 80975
tel: +33-4-1355-2712 secr: +33-4-1355-3632/4
13604 Aix-en-Provence, Cedex 1, France
———————————————————————————————————
Speech Prosody SIG http://sprosig.org/
My publications: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Daniel_Hirst
———————————————————————————————————

James Mahshie

I don't have any experience with online community platforms but came across the following that might prove helpful. The one thing I could not find is information about transferring the archive and how that might work.

Jim

Rodrigo Dal Ben

Hi all,

As a user, I've always had a great experience with Psychopy's forum on Discourse. I don't know how much work is necessary to get it up and running, though.

Best,

Rodrigo Dal Ben

Doutorando em Psicologia
Universidade Federal de São Carlos

Em ter., 5 de nov. de 2019 às 10:10, James Mahshie mahshiej@... [praat-users] <praat-users-noreply@...> escreveu:

I don't have any experience with online community platforms but came across the following that might prove helpful. The one thing I could not find is information about transferring the archive and how that might work.

Jim

Dan McCloy <drmccloy@...>

I looked at groups.io and it seems very promising; it appears to have an easy transfer-your-group-from-Yahoo process (including messages and uploaded files but *not* message attachments), and one useful new feature that leapt out at me is the support for creating an associated Wiki...  this could be handy for frequently-asked questions (like the recent "why is my pitch object only 589 frames instead of 600?"). I can confirm that to use the automatic transfer feature, groups.io requires signing up for a premium account for one year (though they say once the transfer is done, we could downgrade to the free plan for subsequent years, so it would be a one-time cost, not annual, as long as our group's file storage is kept under 1GB). Given that there are more than 3000 members of the praat-users group, raising US$220 seems like it should be possible through go-fund-me or a similar fundraising website... What do folks think about that?

Here are the instructions for transferring from a Yahoo group (copy-pasted here because they're only visible if logged in to a groups.io account, which presumably most of us don't yet have):

What We Transfer

We can transfer members, archives (without attachments, however), photos, files, links and databases. Calendar entries are not copied at this time.

Premium Group Required

For the transfer, we ask that you sign up for the Premium Yearly plan (you can downgrade to free after a year if you wish).

Steps To Transfer Your Group

These steps must be done in this order otherwise the group transfer process will not happen.

  1. Create your new Groups.io group and upgrade it to premium for a year.
  2. Set up and start the transfer process by clicking the Set Up New Transfer button, below. You'll be asked to select your Groups.io group and for the name of your Yahoo Group.
  3. Send an invite from your Yahoo Group to transfer@groups.io
  4. We will accept the invite and then send you an email directing you to make the transfer@groups.io member a moderator.
  5. After you have made the transfer@groups.io member a moderator, return here, select your Existing Transfer transfer, and tell us that you are ready for the transfer to happen. Your group must be signed up for the Premium Yearly plan.
  6. Once we receive the go ahead, as soon as we are able, we will download the member list and other parts of your Yahoo Group and directly add your members to your new Groups.io group.

Notes

  • We do not make any changes to your Yahoo Group. We simply make a copy of everything.
  • We will add all members that are currently confirmed and not bouncing to your group. Members' subscription preferences (email, no email, digest, etc.) will be preserved. Members' posting privileges (group default, override - moderated, etc.) will also be preserved. However, moderator and co-owner status will not be preserved, so all moderators will need to be reinstated after the transfer. If someone is already a member of your new group, we will not change anything about their subscription.
  • Unless you specify otherwise, we will send a notice to every member telling them about the transfer.
  • If you have created a customized welcome message for your group, we will also send that to each member who is not already a member of the new group.
  • We will send an email to the moderators and owners of the Groups.io group when the transfer is complete.
  • NOTE: If the new group is a subgroup at Groups.io, you will receive two transfer notices, one for transfering the members to the parent group, and one for transfering the members to the subgroup (all members of a subgroup must be members of the parent group).

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 12:26 AM Daniel Hirst <djhirst@...> wrote:
> [...]

> My personal opinion is that a simple "mailman" mailing list would be sufficient, since (1) I rarely downloaded files from (and never uploaded files to) the praat-users group website, and there are plenty of other ways to share files (GitHub gists, personal websites, dropbox, osf.io, etc).  What do others think?
>

> -- dan
>

> Daniel McCloy
>
> Research Scientist
>
> Institute for Learning and Brain Sciences

alternative emails:            <daniel.hirst@...>  <daniel.hirst@...>

      CNRS Laboratoire Parole et Langage (UMR 7309) - salle A304
      Aix-Marseille University, 5 avenue Pasteur  BP 80975
tel: +33-4-1355-2712                                             secr: +33-4-1355-3632/4
                           13604 Aix-en-Provence, Cedex 1, France
Speech Prosody SIG                                                         http://sprosig.org/
Praat-users
list:                           http://groups.yahoo.com/group/praat-users