Topics

Voice Activity Detection

francesigo

Hi everyone,

what options would you suggest to do Voice Activity Detection with Praat?

Is looking at pitch enough?

Kind regards.

--
Francesco SIGONA
Electronics engineer

Mario Ganzeboom <m.ganzeboom@...>

Dear Francesco,

From the top of my head, you can do 'Voice Activity Detection (VAD)'-like things by looking at the pitch and/or intensity contours.
It depends on how you define VAD, I guess. Looking at pitch alone only provides the voiced parts in the speech signal (e.g. no unvoiced fricatives, like /s/, /f/, if I'm not mistaken).
Looking at the intensity contour alone (using a certain threshold) will provide you (almost) all speech parts, but perhaps also parts with loud background noise. (see http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/praat/manual/Script_for_onset_detection.html)

Perhaps you could combine the two in a script and filter out the background noise by checking if there's a sensible pitch value at that time point?

There are also dedicated VAD scripts available apart from Praat which might be more accurate (depending on your needs). A google (scholar) search may provide more insight.

Best,

Mario

Mario Ganzeboom MSc.
PhD candidate at CLST
Faculty of Arts - Room 08.15 - Erasmusplein 1
Radboud University Nijmegen - 6525 HT Nijmegen
In office: mon, tue, thu, fri
T: +31 24 3616045 E: m.ganzeboom@...