Topics

Temporal measures of fluency -Praat textgrid

Shaahin N.

Hello everyone,

I am using Praat to measure temporal measure of speech like mean speech rate,  articulation rate, pause length, mean length of runs etc. There are a few scripts that measure these; however, when comparing the output with manual measurements, I found different values. So I decided to detect the measures and annotate the speech samples manually utterance by utterance and pause by pause on a Praat textgrid. I wonder if there’s is any feature on Praat or a script than can give me the length of these utterances and pauses separately, ideally in a text file. I know how to get their quantity or each utterance/pause start time.

Thanks,

Shahin

Antje Schweitzer

Dear Shahin,

I have written a tutorial for our students that explains how to write
praat scripts using examples. The first example script that is given in
the tutorial shows how to output durations of intervals from
annotations, and the third example is a script that automatically
creates annotations of pause and speech intervals (and then uses this
for measuring pitch in the speech intervals). You could try to combine
the two to write your own script using the steps for detecting pauses
from the latter script and then the steps for outputting durations from
the former script.

http://www.ims.uni-stuttgart.de/institut/arbeitsgruppen/phonetik/helps/praat-scripting/praat.tutorial.pdf

Best regards,
Antje

Am 16.05.2018 um 13:54 schrieb Shaahin Nematizadeh
shaahin.nemati@... [praat-users]:

--
Dr. Antje Schweitzer
IMS Uni Stuttgart