Topics

Replace RMS of a wav file with RMS value pulled from a list.

Irene dlCP

Hi all,

I have compressed, chunked an restitched a number of utterances. As a result, the modified versions have lower RMS than the original files.
I want to restore the original RMS but cannot figure out how to do this. Does anybody have any suggestion?

Thank you all and happy holidays.

Irene dlCP

Boersma Paul

On 24 Dec 2019, at 18:38, Irene dlCP <idelacruzpavia@...> wrote:

I have compressed, chunked an restitched a number of utterances. As a result, the modified versions have lower RMS than the original files.
I want to restore the original RMS but cannot figure out how to do this. Does anybody have any suggestion?
Let's suppose that the mean of your signal is 0. If not, do "Subtract mean" (under Modify).

Then, if your RMS used to be 0.3 Pa, and it is now 0.2 Pa, then it has apparently been multiplied by 2/3 during your stitching. To get your RMS back to 0.3 Pa, multiple your signal by 3/2, e.g. with the "Multiply" command (under Modify).
_____

Paul Boersma
Professor of Phonetic Sciences, University of Amsterdam

Visiting address: Spuistraat 134, room 632, Amsterdam
Mail: P.O. Box 1642, 1000BP Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Website: http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/paul/

Irene dlCP

Wonderful, thank you Paul.

irene dlCP