Topics

please adivse me

Branka ZEI <branka.zei@...>

Hello Paul,
I would like to ask you for advice.

I will be getting new sound acquisition equipment and computer.
I am planning to do research with Praat. The original recordings of patients' voices will be of up to 45 minutes, which will be cut up into portions to analyse.

Regardles of price, what would you reccomend as sound aquisition device? a CD burner, a PC card (like the Marantz PMD690) also readable via USB connector PCM-CIA CARD READERS ?

Dirk Janssen (a Praat user) suggests a CD burner.

Thanks in advance
Branka

Paul Boersma <paul.boersma@...>

Regardles of price, what would you reccomend as sound aquisition device?
a CD burner, a PC card (like the Marantz PMD690) also readable via USB connector
PCM-CIA CARD READERS ?
a CD recorder that can be used without a computer seems best to me.
Since the entire thing is dedicated to the recording, you don't have to worry
about the operating system generating any work for itself that can interrupt
and destroy the recording.

CD recorders are more reliable than DAT recorders, that's for sure.
The recordings can be translated to audio files without loss by simple software.

CD recorders record to audio CD instead of to the less expensive data CD.
There's some technical trick to fool the recorder, though. This sounds a bit
less-legal, but of course you should not have to pay music copyrights
for your own recordings...

Institute of Phonetic Sciences, University of Amsterdam
Herengracht 338, 1016CG Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/paul/
phone +31-20-5252385