Topics

(No subject)

kyoon@...

Thank you very much for your kind and detailed explanation.

One of the things that I'm interested in is the overall sum of the
heights of the harmonic peaks, i.e. the sum of the distances from
harmonic valleys to peaks, of vowels following different types of
stops (or fricatives) in Korean. So I guess the formula you sent me
below seems to be the right one I'd want to use.

============
....if you are not interested in the real "physical" dB that I
explained on the discussion list, but just a measure to compare the
heights of the peaks, you can use the formula

Formula... if row=1 then 10 * log10 (self[1,col]^2 + self[2,col]^2)
else 0 fi

This does the squaring and the logarithm, as you see.
You can then do "Get bin from frequency..." to get dB values
(with an arbitrary overall level).

That brings me to another question I've wanted to ask. The dB values
that show up when you put a cursor on a Spectrum Edit window, are
they the values relative to the smallest amplitude value of the
sampled data or the real 'physical' dB value?
Thank you.

Kyuchul Yoon