Topics

Listening experiment working differently on Windows and Mac

Zuzana Oceláková

Hello Praat Users,

have you got any experience with listening experiments (using demo window) working differently on Mac than on Windows? My script works fine on Windows, but on Mac it behaves as if the order of certain commands has changed (which of course it has not). I first want to call a procedure that draws the "trial screen", then play a short pre-stimulus silence, then play the stimulus and then call the procedure again – this time also enabling input from the user. So the sequence is:

@trialScreen: 0, question$, 0      ## the first 0 indicates that the user cannot answer yet
select pause_pre
Play
select file
Play
@trialScreen: 1, question$, 0

However, when I run it in on Mac, first the stimulus is played and after that the trial screen appears. I don't understand how this is possible (given the order of the commands); and why it only happens on Mac. Any ideas?
(The whole script is attached if anyone wants to see it. But in order to run it, there must be a folder called "results" in the same folder as the script, and also a folder called "stimuli" within which there must be some sound files plus a folder called "training", again with some sounds in it. The code that needs to be entered at the beginning is a number between 100 and 499.)

Thanks,
Zuzana Oceláková

Boersma Paul

On 27 Nov 2019, at 17:20, Zuzana Oceláková <zuz.pro@...> wrote:

when I run it in on Mac, first the stimulus is played and after that the trial screen appears. I don't understand how this is possible (given the order of the commands); and why it only happens on Mac.
The Mac uses double buffering of all graphics commands to reduce flashing (you may notice that in Praat for Windows, the Demo window flashes more) so the Mac does not draw until the next waitForInput() or so. To draw at the moment of your choice, do

demoShow ( )

So you would insert this line just before playing the sound.

_____

Paul Boersma
Professor of Phonetic Sciences, University of Amsterdam

Visiting address: Spuistraat 134, room 632, Amsterdam
Mail: P.O. Box 1642, 1000BP Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Website: http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/paul/