Topics

large bandwidths

Juli Cebrian <jcebrian@...>

Hello fellow praat users,

I'm a new user of Praat and I've been using a script to measure vowel
formant values and bandwidths at times specified on a text file. My data
consists of female voices recorded with a DAT recorder and digitized
using CSL software. Praat is picking up additional formant structures in
between real formants (mostly between F1 and F2) corresponding to very
large bandwidths. I'm trying to figure out the way to make the program
skip or disregard formant values beyond a certain bandwidth value, that
is, to limit the range of the bandwidths. I'd appreciate any suggestion.

My second question has to do with the log auditory scale. Is there any
built-in or systematic way of converting Hertz to log using Praat?

Thanks in advance,

Juli Cebrian

Paul Boersma <paul.boersma@...>

Juli Cebrian asked:

Praat is picking up additional formant structures in
between real formants (mostly between F1 and F2) corresponding to very
large bandwidths. I'm trying to figure out the way to make the program
skip or disregard formant values beyond a certain bandwidth value, that
is, to limit the range of the bandwidths. I'd appreciate any suggestion.
The existence of "formants" is very sensitive to the "Maximum formant"
parameter. If you use 5500 Hz for male voices, it is likely that the second
formant of [u] is missed. If you use 5000 Hz for female voices, it is likely
that a spurious formant is seen between F1 and F2. In your case, setting
this to 6000 Hz might help; you speaker could have a shorter-than-average
vocal tract.

In a script, it is also possible to do things like:

b2 = Get second bandwidth
if b2 < 1000
f2 = Get second formant
else
f2 = Get third formant
endif

My second question has to do with the log auditory scale. Is there any
built-in or systematic way of converting Hertz to log using Praat?
in a script:

f1 = Get first formant
f1 = hertzToSemitones (f1)

ore simply

f1 = log10 (f1)

Institute of Phonetic Sciences, University of Amsterdam
Herengracht 338, 1016CG Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/paul/
phone +31-20-5252385