Topics

formants extraction & french nasal vowels

vincent.arnaud@...

Dears praat-users,

I'm analysing french nasal vowels extract from a spontaneous corpus
and I've a problem. In the SoundEditor, when I select the
item "Formant analysis settings", I can choose the number of poles. I
need 16 poles with nasal vowels but only 10 with oral vowels.
But when I create a new "formant object" with Burg method (with oral
vowels, it seems to be the best method of extraction), I can't
configure the number of poles. Must I use another method to extract
formants of nasal vowels (like LPC burg)? To resume, I don't know if
I use the same algorithm in the SoundEditor and when I create a
formant object...

So sorry for my bad english, I hope you'll understand what I say.

Vincent

Paul Boersma <paul.boersma@...>

when I select the
item "Formant analysis settings",
I can choose the number of poles.
But when I create a new "formant object" with Burg method (with oral
vowels, it seems to be the best method of extraction), I can't
configure the number of poles.
You can choose the "Maximum number of formants".
If this is five, then the number of poles will be 10;
if it is eight, the number of poles will be 16.

In the SoundEditor, I shifted to the use of number of poles instead of number of formants,
because some people prefer to work with an odd number of poles, e.g. 11.

The analysis methods are identical.

Institute of Phonetic Sciences, University of Amsterdam
Herengracht 338, 1016CG Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/paul/
phone +31-20-5252385