Topics

calculating spectrum

Gabriel J.L. Beckers <beckers@...>

Dear Praat users,

Does anyone know how a spectrum is calculated from a sound signal in Praat?
I presume a sound signal is not transformed as one big chunk. Or is it? Are
time-frames transformed separately and are the results then averaged? If
so, how long are the frames? Are they windowed?

Thanks in advance,
Gabriel

--
Gabriel J.L. Beckers

Section Behavioural Biology
Institute of Evolutionary and Ecological Sciences
Leiden University

P.O.Box 9516
2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands

http://wwwbio.leidenuniv.nl/~eew/G6/s5.html
Tel.: +31-71-5275015 | Fax.: +31-71-5274900

Paul Boersma <paul.boersma@...>

Gabriel Beckers wrote:
Does anyone know how a spectrum is calculated from a sound signal in Praat?
I presume a sound signal is not transformed as one big chunk. Or is it?
It is. A single Fast Fourier Transform is applied to the samples,
after appending zeroes in order to make the number of samples
a power of two. No time frames, no windowing, no averaging.

Institute of Phonetic Sciences, University of Amsterdam
Herengracht 338, 1016CG Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/paul/
phone +31-20-5252385