Topics

Numbers on a typical View/Edit screen

bbs lists

Hello all,
Is there a place where I can find information about all the numbers displayed on a typical View/Edit screen? For example, what is the number in parentheses after the selection duration information ( XXX /s)?
Thank you for any pointers.
Bill

Boersma Paul

On 1 Feb 2020, at 09:27, bbs lists via Groups.Io <bbs.lists=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Is there a place where I can find information about all the numbers displayed on a typical View/Edit screen?
If you click anywhere, you will see the time of the cursor. If you select a time stretch, you will see the start and end time of the selection. You will also always see the start and end time of the window.

The numbers centred in the rectangles are durations. For instance, you may see the duration of the sound before and after the window.

Vertically, you see the minimum and maximum amplitude.

what is the number in parentheses after the selection duration information ( XXX /s)?
That's how often the selection duration fits in one second ("/s" means 'per second'). So if you select a time stretch that is 0.01 seconds long, this will say 100 /s.
_____

Paul Boersma
Professor of Phonetic Sciences, University of Amsterdam

Visiting address: Spuistraat 134, room 632, Amsterdam
Mail: P.O. Box 1642, 1000BP Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Website: http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/paul/

bbs lists

Thank you for your detailed explanation. This is very helpful.

Just curious, for users who are new to Praat, is there a place in the user guide system (e.g. Help in Praat) to check out all this information?

Thanks again,

Bill