Re: KlattGrid synthesis from GUI

Boersma Paul

On 23 Jan 2020, at 14:02, r.puderbaugh via Groups.Io <r.puderbaugh=ed.ac.uk@groups.io> wrote:

The “klattgrid from vowel” option on the GUI allows us to modify the formant patterns, but is too restrictive because it does not allow us to generate fricatives with formants. We wonder if this is because it is based on an oral formants-only klattgrid, not on one that includes frication formants.
yes.

> When we try to create a 2 formant vowel (or a fricative) using the Create Klattgrid...command on the GUI, it successfully generates the voicing source, but doesn't allow us to filter it.
But it does. You have to add formant and bandwidth values, and you can do so interactively with the "Edit oral formant grid" window.

We are wondering if the problem has to do with setting the formant bandwidths. We noted that we were able to synthesise vowels and fricatives successfully when using scripts, and that these scripts contain “Add (oral) formant bandwidth point” commands. However, the GUI only lets us specify a bandwidth range, but not specific formant bandwidths.
All commands that you find in scripts are also available as commands in the GUI; so, under "Modify vocal tract", there is the menu item "Add oral formant bandwidth point". It may be easier, though, to create a bandwidth curve with the "Edit oral formant grid" window, in which you use "Show bandwidths" from the Formants menu.
_____

Paul Boersma
Professor of Phonetic Sciences, University of Amsterdam

Visiting address: Spuistraat 134, room 632, Amsterdam
Mail: P.O. Box 1642, 1000BP Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Website: http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/paul/

Join Praat-Users-List@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.