Impossible to understand why

dowjonas@...

Edited

I have come across a strange incompatibility. PowerPro prevents me showing the menu of a particular program in the notification area of the taskbar. The menu is activated by right clicking on the program's icon. What is especially strange is that this happens only for this program, but not for others that are also in the notification area. The program is Screenshot Captor and is found at https://www.donationcoder.com/software/mouser/popular-apps/screenshot-captor. I use the protable version.

EDIT: The problem is solved if I run Screenshot Captor as administrator. So, what could I do to avoid this trouble?

BruceS

I'm assuming you are not running PPro as admin (not recommended or supported). If not, I don't have any good ideas on this one.
Some possibilities.
Does right click work for other tray icons?  Are you running any PPro tray icons?
Maybe that screen shot program is not using standard method of intercepting right click in tray. Try reversing the checkbox on Key/mouse |setup Use new LL hook for mouse intercept (in middle of dialog)  Restart ppro after changing.

silversword

Can you include a screenshot(s) of the problem/where you're clicking, and what you're expecting to see?

dowjonas@...

Edited

I'm running PowerPro as a Standard User. Right clicking on other tray icons brings up their respective popup menus, so it must be something specific about the screenshot capture program. I tried the setting in PowerPro as suggested, but it didn't make any difference.
EDIT: P.S. I'm not running any PowerPro tray icons.

dowjonas@...

Screenshots attached showing the tray icon of Screenshot Captor and another program. If PowerPro is running then the popup menu appears when the Screenshot Captor icon is right clicked, but it disappears as soon as the mouse cursor moves on it.
,

BruceS

Can you use the keyboard short cuts (ie arrow keys) to navigate the menu?
How do you start this program?  If you start it from windows startup, try starting it manually instead after PPro is running to see if that matters.
Can you post screen shots of your setup tab and gui control tab from the config dialog.  Or just try unchecking everything in both to see if that helps and if it does, try turning options on one at a time to see which causes the issue.
Are you using any mouse driven hot keys.?

BruceS

Edited

Does it matter if program icon is in main tray instead of hidden icon menu?

Just as background:  since PPro is running standard, I believe Windows stops it from intercepting mouse clicks and actions which occur when elevated program is foreground program. That may have something to do with why it works if your run screen capture elevated.  But that is just a guess and I am not sure what to do about it so that it does not happen if screen capture run as standard.  Reversing the mouse intercept checkbox was my first guess.

dowjonas@...

I can indeed use the keyboard arrow keys to navigate the popup menu!
This program is started from the Start menu (not on Windows startup) My testing so far has been with PowerPro starting either before or after the program is started. The problem occurs if PowerPro is active.
Screenshots of my srtup tab and GUI control tab follow below.
I'm not using any mouse driven hot keys.

BruceS

Try unchecking activate window when mouse over on gui control.
Note that the order in which programs start can effect whether program intercepts mouse actions.

dowjonas@...

That works.
Thank you Bruce. All power to you and PowerPro!

BruceS

Edited

Good.  To answer the thread title, I believe the reason it happens is this:
Moving the mouse over the screen capture program  menu causes PPro to activate that menu because of the mouse over window activation setting, but menus are programmed to disappear when activation message sent  (at least when it comes from outside of Windows system).
PPro is programmed to not do this for standard menus which are built and shown using the built-in Windows API.  But these days many sophisticated programs create and display their own menus  because the built in API is quite limited in look and capability.  To PPro, such menus look like ordinary windows, so it tries to activate them.  To work around this, I'd have to add an option to ignore certain window classes or programs when that item is checked.  No plans to do this for now.