Transmission Mounted Speedo Drive Gear For '76 MGB (not right angle)

Chip Krout <chip19474@...>

Does anyone know where I can find a new speedo drive gear for my '76 MGB?  It's the speedo gear on the pass side of the transmission....mine is leaking - not a big deal but, what the heck, I have the time.  If there's an O RIng in the gear housing that is replaceable, please let me know - I'll do that.

Thanks,

Chip Krout

Kevin McLemore

Yeah, usually there’s an o-ring that’s replaceable - certainly that’s an inexpensive and pretty quick fix.

On Aug 2, 2020, at 12:01 PM, Chip Krout via groups.io <chip19474@...> wrote:

Does anyone know where I can find a new speedo drive gear for my '76 MGB?  It's the speedo gear on the pass side of the transmission....mine is leaking - not a big deal but, what the heck, I have the time.  If there's an O RIng in the gear housing that is replaceable, please let me know - I'll do that.

Thanks,

Chip Krout

Ed Emery

Make sure you get the correct gear for the turns per mile.  Your speedo gauge should have it at the bottom of the face.

Yeah, usually there’s an o-ring that’s replaceable - certainly that’s an inexpensive and pretty quick fix.

On Aug 2, 2020, at 12:01 PM, Chip Krout via groups.io <chip19474@...> wrote:

Does anyone know where I can find a new speedo drive gear for my '76 MGB?  It's the speedo gear on the pass side of the transmission....mine is leaking - not a big deal but, what the heck, I have the time.  If there's an O RIng in the gear housing that is replaceable, please let me know - I'll do that.

Thanks,

Chip Krout

Ira Spector

Harbor Freight sells a metric O-ring kit that has come in handy in situations like this in the past.

Ira

On Aug 2, 2020, at 3:37 PM, Ed Emery via groups.io <john.emery5@...> wrote:

Make sure you get the correct gear for the turns per mile.  Your speedo gauge should have it at the bottom of the face.

Yeah, usually there’s an o-ring that’s replaceable - certainly that’s an inexpensive and pretty quick fix.

On Aug 2, 2020, at 12:01 PM, Chip Krout via groups.io <chip19474@...> wrote:

Does anyone know where I can find a new speedo drive gear for my '76 MGB?  It's the speedo gear on the pass side of the transmission....mine is leaking - not a big deal but, what the heck, I have the time.  If there's an O RIng in the gear housing that is replaceable, please let me know - I'll do that.

Thanks,

Chip Krout

Chip Krout <chip19474@...>

thanks....I'm aware of the gear teeth issue...hoping to do an o-ring replacement and keep what I have...fingers crossed

Make sure you get the correct gear for the turns per mile.  Your speedo gauge should have it at the bottom of the face.

Yeah, usually there’s an o-ring that’s replaceable - certainly that’s an inexpensive and pretty quick fix.

On Aug 2, 2020, at 12:01 PM, Chip Krout via groups.io <chip19474@...> wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find a new speedo drive gear for my '76 MGB?  It's the speedo gear on the pass side of the transmission....mine is leaking - not a big deal but, what the heck, I have the time.  If there's an O RIng in the gear housing that is replaceable, please let me know - I'll do that.

Thanks,

Chip Krout

Chip Krout <chip19474@...>

thanks...hopefully the small bin of assorted o-rings I've collected for a zillion years will have what I want