Topics

Gasoline Order

Good Morning,

My 1978 B is emitting a gasoline odor that clears quickly when the garage door is open..  I have found no visible leaks and have removed another vehicle and the gasoline can from the garage.  There are no other sources of gasoline other than the MG.  Does anyone have an idea or knowledge of where the odor may be originating and what needs to be done to stop it?

Many thanks,

John Edgar

Stephen McDowell

Did you check the trunk area?
How about making sure all the c clamps are tight?
Maybe slight leak near the filter?

Take a long 1/2 hose and use it to sniff each fitting as it doesnt take much to give you the gas smell.

v/r
Steve
703-628-8194 - Cell

On Sunday, September 1, 2019, 11:59:27 AM EDT, John Edgar via Groups.Io <JME422@...> wrote:

Good Morning,

My 1978 B is emitting a gasoline odor that clears quickly when the garage door is open..  I have found no visible leaks and have removed another vehicle and the gasoline can from the garage.  There are no other sources of gasoline other than the MG.  Does anyone have an idea or knowledge of where the odor may be originating and what needs to be done to stop it?

Many thanks,

John Edgar

Ira Spector

Check the charcoal filter on the right side of the trunk. The rubber hoses that connect it to the tank vent often deteriorate and cause this smell.

Ira

On Sep 1, 2019, at 12:11 PM, Stephen McDowell via Groups.Io <stephen.mcdowell2020@...> wrote:

[...]

Gregory Simms

The top shelf surface of gas tanks are sometimes known to rust thru.should drip on ground after driving though

On Sunday, September 1, 2019, 11:59:27 AM EDT, John Edgar via Groups.Io <JME422=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Good Morning,

My 1978 B is emitting a gasoline odor that clears quickly when the garage door is open..  I have found no visible leaks and have removed another vehicle and the gasoline can from the garage.  There are no other sources of gasoline other than the MG.  Does anyone have an idea or knowledge of where the odor may be originating and what needs to be done to stop it?

Many thanks,

John Edgar

jpwinesplumbing@...

Could be something as simple as a bad seal on the gas cap.

On Sunday, September 1, 2019, 12:40 PM, Gregory Simms <gasgregory62@...> wrote:

[...]

Gerard Dangelo <Gdangelo6118@...>

Edgar,
   Fuel vapours can come from many sources, be very methodical in how and where you search. Start at the fuel tank and work your way forward.
One question that needs to be asked, is: has anyone modified any part of the fuel system or the emissions "systems"? Either way:
   Tanks can rust on the top, between fuel tank top and bottom of the boot. Separator tank lines in the boot can break or fray, so look carefully.  It is rare that the main fuel line is the cause, but all flexible lines that attach to it should be replaced. Place paper under the car for a few nights, might help to locate a drip if that is the cause. If you have an Original SU fuel pump, look carefully at it from under the car, feel around the banjo fittings to see if they are leaking. If you have an aftermarket pump look at its hoses (at a min).
   As you make your way forward to the carbs, inspect very carefully the carbon canister/s in the engine bay, sometimes when certain things go wrong (and there are many) fuel vapours and fuel itself can overwhelm the canisters. They contain charcoal and can be cleaned and the charcoal reactivated or replaced. A lot of times that is a cause of fuel smell when the car is sitting. Then depending on your knowledge of your carbs (If you have SU's, HS4's or HIF's) look them over very carefully and make sure they are not leaking.
    I could go on but I hope this helps, good luck and please let us know how things work out...……………………………...Gerard

On Sun, Sep 1, 2019 at 12:11 PM Stephen McDowell via Groups.Io <stephen.mcdowell2020=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Thank you Gerard for the excellent advice.  I will certainly follow that advice and hopefully solve the problem.  I could end up taking the vehicle to a local MG shop.
Thanks again,

John

[...]

Thank you, I'll be certain to check the cap

[...]

Emery

Check the rubber hoses carefully.  If they are original they could be leaking due to the ethanol in the gasoline.  You might want to replace them either way and be forewarned that new fuel line hoses can be pricy so ask the price before you buy.

Ed Emery

On Sun, Sep 1, 2019 at 12:11 PM Stephen McDowell via Groups.Io <stephen.mcdowell2020@...> wrote:

[...]

searlerb@...

Be sure to check the hoses to the fuel filter.  On 78s this is on the firewall above where the steering column comes through.  The top hose makes a tight "U" turn which is subject to failure.  It did on my 78 once.  My feet were slipping on the floor matt and I discovered the fuel pump was trying to fill the cabin.

My 1978 B is emitting a gasoline odor that clears quickly when the garage door is open..  I have found no visible leaks and have removed another vehicle and the gasoline can from the garage.  There are no other sources of gasoline other than the MG.  Does anyone have an idea or knowledge of where the odor may be originating and what needs to be done to stop it?

Many thanks,

John Edgar

Thank you to everyone for your advice and suggestions.  I followed through on as many suggestions as I could  and, while I don’t know which one or which ones solved the problem, the odor is gone.  Again, many thanks for your help.

John