Austin Cooper - fuel tank cleaning

Gregory Simms

Sequence should be acetone ( or decrease somehow)1st  because acid  1st will not remove grease. Then acid clean.Follow by hot and cold dei rinse,then blow dry

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021, 8:12 AM Gregory Simms via groups.io <gasgregory62=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
 Clarification-That is a hot dei after the acid wash.....

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021, 8:07 AM Gregory Simms via groups.io <gasgregory62=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
From my years experience with metals, hot dei water rinse should do it . Key word "hot", followed by cold rinse .then get it dry fast ie. Blow dry air in opening .
Take care
Greg

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021, 10:20 PM Kevin McLemore <kmclemore@...> wrote:
Roger, how did you neutralize the muriatic acid?  If there's any acid remaining on the metal surface it's sure to flash rust.  I'm not sure acetone would neutralize the acid... but then I'm not a chemist.

I do know that it's critically important to use mineral-free water to rinse the tanks - so distilled water is best. And it might be wise to use a tank etch that leaves a phosphate coating (which will inhibit flash rusting). I've used Bill Hirsh tank cleaning and sealing products in the past and have been very pleased with the results. For example, I did my Sunbeam tanks over 25 years ago and they're still in excellent shape.

And I strongly suggest following up with a sealer to prevent future rusting of your tanks.  Again, I recommend Hirsh:

https://www.hirschauto.com/ALCOHOL-RESISTANT-GAS-TANK-SEALER/productinfo/GTS/

Hirsh sealers have been well respected by American antique car enthusiasts for decades.