Austin Cooper - fuel tank cleaning

Gregory Simms

Sequence should be acetone ( or decrease somehow)1st  because acid  1st will not remove grease. Then acid clean.Follow by hot and cold dei rinse,then blow dry

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021, 8:12 AM Gregory Simms via groups.io <gasgregory62=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
 Clarification-That is a hot dei after the acid wash.....

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021, 8:07 AM Gregory Simms via groups.io <gasgregory62=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
From my years experience with metals, hot dei water rinse should do it . Key word "hot", followed by cold rinse .then get it dry fast ie. Blow dry air in opening . 
Take care
Greg

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021, 10:20 PM Kevin McLemore <kmclemore@...> wrote:
Roger, how did you neutralize the muriatic acid?  If there's any acid remaining on the metal surface it's sure to flash rust.  I'm not sure acetone would neutralize the acid... but then I'm not a chemist.

I do know that it's critically important to use mineral-free water to rinse the tanks - so distilled water is best. And it might be wise to use a tank etch that leaves a phosphate coating (which will inhibit flash rusting). I've used Bill Hirsh tank cleaning and sealing products in the past and have been very pleased with the results. For example, I did my Sunbeam tanks over 25 years ago and they're still in excellent shape.

And I strongly suggest following up with a sealer to prevent future rusting of your tanks.  Again, I recommend Hirsh:

https://www.hirschauto.com/ALCOHOL-RESISTANT-GAS-TANK-SEALER/productinfo/GTS/

Hirsh sealers have been well respected by American antique car enthusiasts for decades. 

Cheers,
Kevin McLemore

From: PhillyMGClub@groups.io <PhillyMGClub@groups.io> on behalf of Roger Williams <rogerotto@...>
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2021 8:51 PM
To: PhillyMGClub@groups.io <PhillyMGClub@groups.io>
Subject: [PhillyMGClub] Austin Cooper - fuel tank cleaning

Hi All!

I am looking for your recommendation re: cleaning my fuel tanks.

Last year I used vinegar and baking soda to accomplish the bulk of the cleaning.  Some surface rust remained.

Prior to installing them I wanted to see if I could remove the remaining surface rust.

So... last week I used diluted muratic acid followed by an acetone wash.  The result was great ... bright shiny bare metal!

When I checked them out this weekend the bare metal was now covered with “flash rust”. 

Looking for suggestions to remove/prevent the “flash rust”.

Thanks in advance.

Roger Williams
1966 Austin Cooper S

Gregory Simms

Clarification-That is a hot dei after the acid wash.....

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021, 8:07 AM Gregory Simms via groups.io <gasgregory62=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
From my years experience with metals, hot dei water rinse should do it . Key word "hot", followed by cold rinse .then get it dry fast ie. Blow dry air in opening . 
Take care
Greg

Roger, how did you neutralize the muriatic acid?  If there's any acid remaining on the metal surface it's sure to flash rust.  I'm not sure acetone would neutralize the acid... but then I'm not a chemist.

I do know that it's critically important to use mineral-free water to rinse the tanks - so distilled water is best. And it might be wise to use a tank etch that leaves a phosphate coating (which will inhibit flash rusting). I've used Bill Hirsh tank cleaning and sealing products in the past and have been very pleased with the results. For example, I did my Sunbeam tanks over 25 years ago and they're still in excellent shape.

And I strongly suggest following up with a sealer to prevent future rusting of your tanks.  Again, I recommend Hirsh:

Hirsh sealers have been well respected by American antique car enthusiasts for decades. 

Cheers,
Kevin McLemore

From: PhillyMGClub@groups.io <PhillyMGClub@groups.io> on behalf of Roger Williams <rogerotto@...>

Hi All!

Last year I used vinegar and baking soda to accomplish the bulk of the cleaning.  Some surface rust remained.

Prior to installing them I wanted to see if I could remove the remaining surface rust.

So... last week I used diluted muratic acid followed by an acetone wash.  The result was great ... bright shiny bare metal!

When I checked them out this weekend the bare metal was now covered with “flash rust”. 

Thanks in advance.

Roger Williams
1966 Austin Cooper S

Gregory Simms

Take care
Greg

Cheers,
Kevin McLemore

Hi All!

Thanks in advance.

Roger Williams
1966 Austin Cooper S

Kevin McLemore

Cheers,
Kevin McLemore

Hi All!

Thanks in advance.

Roger Williams
1966 Austin Cooper S

Roger Williams

Hi All!

Last year I used vinegar and baking soda to accomplish the bulk of the cleaning. Some surface rust remained.

So... last week I used diluted muratic acid followed by an acetone wash. The result was great ... bright shiny bare metal!

Thanks in advance.

Roger Williams
1966 Austin Cooper S