53 MG-TD - Fuel Tank Issue

Robert Palac

Thank you for the information.

Bob

From: PhillyMGClub@groups.io [mailto:PhillyMGClub@groups.io] On Behalf Of Harry Hurst
Sent: Saturday, March 6, 2021 4:46 PM
To: PhillyMGClub@groups.io
Subject: Re: [PhillyMGClub] 53 MG-TD - Fuel Tank Issue

I used the Moss sealer in my 53 TD and it has worked fine.

Harry Hurst

Hurst Communications Inc.
610-725-9600 Cell

January - April 15
1217 Timberbrooke Dr., Palm Harbor, FL 34684

April 15 - December
431 Springview Ln., Phoenixville, PA 19460

h.hurst@...

On 3/6/21 2:27 PM, Robert Palac via groups.io wrote:

Hi fellow MG enthusiast;

My name is Bob Palac an am one year new to the club. I have a 1952 MG-TD that I purchased in late 2019. When I purchased the car it was not running due to a fuel issue. The owner stated that the car had a full renovation in 1992 and the tank was sent out to be sealed. (he does not have any records or paperwork)  We assumed the car did not run due to old ethanol that had gummed up. We drained the fuel and carbs. The fuel was a dark honey brown color and the carbs were glued with the stale fuel that formed a sticky sludge. We flushed the lines and pulled the carbs down and rebuilt them. As a precaution my buddy Skip installed a marine fuel filter ahead of the carburetors to catch any remaining sludge or foreign material. – RAN GOOD____ for a while.

Yep as the summer went on I developed carb issues and it often broke down. (fortunately we never ventured far from the neighborhood).

So my buddy installed a marine filter in line ahead of the carbs. Yes, It was compromised with silt. (see pictures)

After doing a lot of research and reading I have seen there are many gas tank sealers and that the early sealers DO NOT hold up to ethanol. I read so many varied suggestions as to either use a sealer, have it boiled, don’t have it boiled because the sealer won’t adhere to the surface, replace the tank and be done with t….. etc.

I am interested to here other input and or experience. (I was leaning toward a two part epoxy tank sealer) --  (many others that I have read as recommended are: KBS Coatings 52050, KBS Coatings 53000, CASWELL, PUR-15 and KREEM

Any input is appreciated.

Thank You,

Bob Palac

cell: 484-620-9655

e-mail: rpalac@...

Attachments:

Robert Palac

Great information. Yes, I have heard of the Hirch product. I will read up on it much more. Your recommendation comes with very good reason. Thank You.

Bob

From: PhillyMGClub@groups.io [mailto:PhillyMGClub@groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin McLemore
Sent: Saturday, March 6, 2021 7:31 PM
To: PhillyMGClub@groups.io
Subject: Re: [PhillyMGClub] 53 MG-TD - Fuel Tank Issue

Bob, my TD tanks are fine and don't presently need sealing, but my Sunbeam Alpine tanks (there are two in that car) both needed it very badly many years ago.  I used the best recommended product at the time, Bill Hirsch's sealant.  It absolutely works.  It's been in my tanks for over 25 years and they are still nicely sealed and never have any residue.  Link: https://www.hirschauto.com/ALCOHOL-RESISTANT-GAS-TANK-SEALER/productinfo/GTS/

Resistant to all fuel types, this car fuel tank sealer will seal leaks and prevent rusting. Use this alcohol resistant gas tank sealer in your project today.

I strongly recommend against​ using an epoxy sealer.  First, there are better alternatives (like above), but second is that it's totally non-removable if it ever goes bad... you'd need to scrap the tank. Not a good thing.

Now, as to your filters, it's a nifty idea, but I need to warn you to NEVER put a filter before the MG's fuel pump - doing so will cause the fuel pump to not pull properly, resulting in an early burnout of the pump's capacitor... which will lead to burning of the pump's contact breaker points, and the annoying problem of having to rap on the pump to get it going again... forever. Only put a filter - if you need one at all - on the output side of an SU fuel pump. IMHO there isn't any need for a filter as long as your tank is reasonably clean, which it will be once you pull it and seal it. Note that Hirsch also makes an entire kit for your tank: https://www.hirschauto.com/AUTOMOTIVE-FUEL-TANK-REPAIR-KIT/productinfo/ARK%2D01/

With three of our gas tank repair products in one kit, you have everything you need to keep your classic car in top shape. Order this fuel tank repair kit today.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Kevin

From: PhillyMGClub@groups.io <PhillyMGClub@groups.io> on behalf of Robert Palac via groups.io <rpalac@...>
Sent: Saturday, March 6, 2021 2:27 PM
To: PhillyMGClub@groups.io <PhillyMGClub@groups.io>
Subject: [PhillyMGClub] 53 MG-TD - Fuel Tank Issue

Hi fellow MG enthusiast;

My name is Bob Palac an am one year new to the club. I have a 1952 MG-TD that I purchased in late 2019. When I purchased the car it was not running due to a fuel issue. The owner stated that the car had a full renovation in 1992 and the tank was sent out to be sealed. (he does not have any records or paperwork)  We assumed the car did not run due to old ethanol that had gummed up. We drained the fuel and carbs. The fuel was a dark honey brown color and the carbs were glued with the stale fuel that formed a sticky sludge. We flushed the lines and pulled the carbs down and rebuilt them. As a precaution my buddy Skip installed a marine fuel filter ahead of the carburetors to catch any remaining sludge or foreign material. – RAN GOOD____ for a while.

Yep as the summer went on I developed carb issues and it often broke down. (fortunately we never ventured far from the neighborhood).

So my buddy installed a marine filter in line ahead of the carbs. Yes, It was compromised with silt. (see pictures)

After doing a lot of research and reading I have seen there are many gas tank sealers and that the early sealers DO NOT hold up to ethanol. I read so many varied suggestions as to either use a sealer, have it boiled, don’t have it boiled because the sealer won’t adhere to the surface, replace the tank and be done with t….. etc.

I am interested to here other input and or experience. (I was leaning toward a two part epoxy tank sealer) --  (many others that I have read as recommended are: KBS Coatings 52050, KBS Coatings 53000, CASWELL, PUR-15 and KREEM

Thank You,

Bob Palac

Attachments:

Kevin McLemore

Bob, my TD tanks are fine and don't presently need sealing, but my Sunbeam Alpine tanks (there are two in that car) both needed it very badly many years ago.  I used the best recommended product at the time, Bill Hirsch's sealant.  It absolutely works.  It's been in my tanks for over 25 years and they are still nicely sealed and never have any residue.  Link: https://www.hirschauto.com/ALCOHOL-RESISTANT-GAS-TANK-SEALER/productinfo/GTS/
Resistant to all fuel types, this car fuel tank sealer will seal leaks and prevent rusting. Use this alcohol resistant gas tank sealer in your project today.
www.hirschauto.com

I strongly recommend against​ using an epoxy sealer.  First, there are better alternatives (like above), but second is that it's totally non-removable if it ever goes bad... you'd need to scrap the tank. Not a good thing.

Now, as to your filters, it's a nifty idea, but I need to warn you to NEVER put a filter before the MG's fuel pump - doing so will cause the fuel pump to not pull properly, resulting in an early burnout of the pump's capacitor... which will lead to burning of the pump's contact breaker points, and the annoying problem of having to rap on the pump to get it going again... forever. Only put a filter - if you need one at all - on the output side of an SU fuel pump. IMHO there isn't any need for a filter as long as your tank is reasonably clean, which it will be once you pull it and seal it. Note that Hirsch also makes an entire kit for your tank: https://www.hirschauto.com/AUTOMOTIVE-FUEL-TANK-REPAIR-KIT/productinfo/ARK%2D01/
With three of our gas tank repair products in one kit, you have everything you need to keep your classic car in top shape. Order this fuel tank repair kit today.
www.hirschauto.com

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Kevin

From: PhillyMGClub@groups.io <PhillyMGClub@groups.io> on behalf of Robert Palac via groups.io <rpalac@...>
Sent: Saturday, March 6, 2021 2:27 PM
To: PhillyMGClub@groups.io <PhillyMGClub@groups.io>
Subject: [PhillyMGClub] 53 MG-TD - Fuel Tank Issue

Hi fellow MG enthusiast;

Thank You,

Bob Palac

Attachments:

Harry Hurst

I used the Moss sealer in my 53 TD and it has worked fine.

Harry Hurst

Hurst Communications Inc.
610-725-9600 Cell

January - April 15
1217 Timberbrooke Dr., Palm Harbor, FL 34684

April 15 - December
431 Springview Ln., Phoenixville, PA 19460

h.hurst@...

On 3/6/21 2:27 PM, Robert Palac via groups.io wrote:

Hi fellow MG enthusiast;

Thank You,

Bob Palac

Attachments:

Robert Palac

Hi fellow MG enthusiast;

Thank You,

Bob Palac