Seat Upholstery Repair

Roger Williams

Hi All

Need to repair a few tears in the front/rear seats of my Austin Cooper.

Has anyone had DIY success?
Can anyone recommend someone who can do this?

Here are a few pictures.

Thanks in advance.

Roger Williams

Kevin McLemore

I have used those vinyl repair kits with the soldering-iron like thing, but with mixed results. Willow Grove Auto Top has a pretty good reputation - perhaps you might take it to them and see what they think.

On Aug 24, 2020, at 7:31 PM, Roger Williams <rogerotto@alumni.psu.edu> wrote:

Hi All

Need to repair a few tears in the front/rear seats of my Austin Cooper.

Has anyone had DIY success?
Can anyone recommend someone who can do this?

Here are a few pictures.

Thanks in advance.

Roger Williams

<image1.png>
<image2.png>

Kenn & Kathy Brown

Hi Roger,  the tear on the back of the front seat has some hope . The tear on the white tuck and roll of the rear seat is a difficult repair. These english vinyls have a thin layer of vinyl on a woven backing , hence the right angle nature of the tears. These everflex vinyls are actually pretty strong but they tend to get stiff with age and a fresh soft vinyl repair is hard to get a nice welded bond with the new ,low temperature cure ,soft repair vinyl.  As a result the bond the will easily crack and open along the stiff old edge without good support from a backing material to bridge the opening. The front seat back can at least have a patch glued on the back of the vinyl to bridge the gap. The back seat poses two problems in that without access to the backing no support can be attached , and on a seating surface it will naturally be subjected to abrasion and stress from stretching under the pressure of someone sitting on it.
The back seat could get what we used to call a "better than a hole " repair. That you will have to care with.
I used to do a little of that type of work but mostly farmed it out to Carrisma. The color match is a whole new variable to bring to the repair job . Carrisma used to just do the repair in a similar hew,  then spray the panel with a color to blend it in.

Kenn

On Aug 24, 2020 7:31 PM, "Roger Williams" <rogerotto@...> wrote:
Hi All

Need to repair a few tears in the front/rear seats of my Austin Cooper.

Has anyone had DIY success?
Can anyone recommend someone who can do this?

Here are a few pictures.

Thanks in advance.

Roger Williams

Kenn & Kathy Brown

Oops... just reread your question and what I thought was the back seat tuck and roll is on the front..... tough repair for general use