From: "Roger Searle via Groups.Io" <searlerb@...>
Date: 2/26/20 11:26 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: phillymgclub@groups.io
Subject: [PhillyMGClub] 15 Inch Wheel Conversion for '78 B

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience in switching a rubber bumper B to 15 inch wheels?  How big a job?  Is it worth it for handling and appearance?  Etc.?

Thanks Bob.

The ride. Is much better with the 15 "  but the speedometer must be recalibrated. And you need narrow tires for clearance in rear fenders don't remember the size

Does anyone have experience in switching a rubber bumper B to 15 inch wheels?  How big a job?  Is it worth it for handling and appearance?  Etc.?

Roger

Steve Harding

Roger,
I didn’t recalibrate the speedometer, I got an app for my phone. I hung from the rear view mirror; it worked great.
Steve Harding

Thanks Bob.

From: "Roger Searle via Groups.Io" <searlerb@...>
Date: 2/26/20 11:26 AM (GMT-05:00)

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience in switching a rubber bumper B to 15 inch wheels?  How big a job?  Is it worth it for handling and appearance?  Etc.?

There are several of them. They use average GPS location change to calculate movement and speed.

Cheers,
Speedo
(...but my real name is Mr. Earl)

On Feb 27, 2020, at 11:23 AM, Harry Hurst <h.hurst@...> wrote:

[...]

Or, every time you get a speeding ticket, your wife gets a phone call letting her know!

On 2/27/20 11:54 AM, Lester Weinraub wrote:
But every time you got a phone call you got a speeding ticket

Lester

On Feb 27, 2020, at 11:08 AM, Steve Harding via Groups.Io <mgbgt1@...> wrote:

 Roger,
I didn’t recalibrate the speedometer, I got an app for my phone. I hung from the rear view mirror; it worked great.
Steve Harding

On Feb 26, 2020, at 1:22 PM, Roger Searle via Groups.Io <searlerb@...> wrote:

Thanks Bob.

The ride. Is much better with the 15 "  but the speedometer must be recalibrated. And you need narrow tires for clearance in rear fenders don't remember the size

Does anyone have experience in switching a rubber bumper B to 15 inch wheels?  How big a job?  Is it worth it for handling and appearance?  Etc.?

Roger

Henry Hauptfuhrer

FYI, there are a whole host of surface and dash mount GPS speedometers including some that may very well fit existing MG dash openings – both digital and analog.

Henry Hauptfuhrer

The ride. Is much better with the 15 "  but the speedometer must be recalibrated. And you need narrow tires for clearance in rear fenders don't remember the size

Does anyone have experience in switching a rubber bumper B to 15 inch wheels?  How big a job?  Is it worth it for handling and appearance?  Etc.?

Roger

Steve Harding

Harry,
It’s just a GPS device that reads out mph.
Steve

[...]

Wow! And I understand you can use it as a phone too, right?

On 2/27/20 2:06 PM, Steve Harding via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

The GPS gauges actually can include a lot of additional features such as odometer, turn signal indicator, etc.. – all hard wired off your existing electrical system.  There’s a selection on Amazon as well as other web sites.  The good thing is unlike a smart phone, there are no capabilities to notify the spouse of speeding.