Topics

MGB fresh air "cowl vent cover"

searlerb@...

All,

I'd like to get a "cowl vent cover" to close off the fresh air intake that is just ahead of the windscreen.  Moss has these and they are held in place magnetically but states that they are not for use when the car is in operation.  My goal is to use it while driving to stop the leakage of winter air into the cabin.

Does anyone know of a type that is suitable for operation.

kjcollins48@...

Roger,
I have had my vent cover for years and always drive with it on place. It has sufficient magnetic strength to keep it in place.
Ken

On Nov 13, 2019, at 8:39 AM, searlerb via Groups.Io <searlerb@...> wrote:

All,

I'd like to get a "cowl vent cover" to close off the fresh air intake that is just ahead of the windscreen.  Moss has these and they are held in place magnetically but states that they are not for use when the car is in operation.  My goal is to use it while driving to stop the leakage of winter air into the cabin.

Does anyone know of a type that is suitable for operation.

Steve Harding

Roger,
When I still owned my BGT I did the same as Ken, without any problems.
Steve

On Nov 13, 2019, at 10:22 AM, kjcollins48 via Groups.Io <kjcollins48@...> wrote:

Roger,
I have had my vent cover for years and always drive with it on place. It has sufficient magnetic strength to keep it in place.
Ken

On Nov 13, 2019, at 8:39 AM, searlerb via Groups.Io <searlerb@...> wrote:

All,

I'd like to get a "cowl vent cover" to close off the fresh air intake that is just ahead of the windscreen.  Moss has these and they are held in place magnetically but states that they are not for use when the car is in operation.  My goal is to use it while driving to stop the leakage of winter air into the cabin.

Does anyone know of a type that is suitable for operation.

Stephen McDowell

I use mine while driving to either keep rain out or cold air.  The magnets WILL hold......I have never had them blow off.

v/r
Steve
703-628-8194 - Cell

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 10:24:11 AM EST, Steve Harding via Groups.Io <mgbgt1@...> wrote:

[...]

lgweinraub

Accidentally I have left mine on and it stayed in place.  However I try to remember to remove it.

Lester

On Nov 13, 2019, at 11:00 AM, Stephen McDowell via Groups.Io <stephen.mcdowell2020@...> wrote:

[...]

I suspect the warning is to appease the litigious amongst us.

On Nov 13, 2019, at 11:11 AM, lgweinraub <lgweinraub@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks all.

[...]

Sorry, Roger.  I've watched two of these blow away and low speeds.

I'd like to get a "cowl vent cover" to close off the fresh air intake that is just ahead of the windscreen.  Moss has these and they are held in place magnetically but states that they are not for use when the car is in operation.  My goal is to use it while driving to stop the leakage of winter air into the cabin.

Does anyone know of a type that is suitable for operation.

searlerb@...

Thanks John.  I ordered one, and based on your experience I'll secure it with some tape.

Sorry, Roger.  I've watched two of these blow away and low speeds.

I'd like to get a "cowl vent cover" to close off the fresh air intake that is just ahead of the windscreen.  Moss has these and they are held in place magnetically but states that they are not for use when the car is in operation.  My goal is to use it while driving to stop the leakage of winter air into the cabin.

Does anyone know of a type that is suitable for operation.

Bob Hitchiner

Just a thought on this...The cowl vent is easily removed.  Make a blocking plate out of plastic or aluminum.   Cut one your self.   Get 2 wing nuts.  Drill 2 holes in the blocking plate and two large washers(Home Depot).  Attach the blocking plate to the cowl vent using the wing nuts (sandwich style) and push your cowl vent back in place. Should take you less then a 6 pack depending on how much help you have watching you.
Bob

On Nov 15, 2019, at 10:51 AM, John Edgar via Groups.Io <JME422@...> wrote:

Sorry, Roger.  I've watched two of these blow away and low speeds.

I'd like to get a "cowl vent cover" to close off the fresh air intake that is just ahead of the windscreen.  Moss has these and they are held in place magnetically but states that they are not for use when the car is in operation.  My goal is to use it while driving to stop the leakage of winter air into the cabin.

Does anyone know of a type that is suitable for operation.

Harry Hurst

Heck, use part of that six-pack to make the plate!

Harry Hurst
610-725-9600 Cell

2138 Lombard St., 4A, Philadelphia, PA 19146

h.hurst@...

On 11/15/19 1:40 PM, Bob Hitchiner via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Better be drinking Fosters!

On Nov 15, 2019, at 1:54 PM, Harry Hurst <h.hurst@...> wrote:

[...]

No, Old Speckled Hen!