Topics

Tires for MGB

searlerb@...

Hi All,

I currently have 12 year old Michelin Harmonys on my '78 Roadster with plenty of tread left.  But, the age is starting to concern me (particularly for highway driving).  Should I be?  If so, what would you recommend?  Ed Sweeney at Proper Noise once recommended  Vredstein but I never got a reason why.

Stephen McDowell

I believe the enemy tires are the visible (road wear) and invisible (TIME).
Just like you should service the engine, change the oil, lube the frame each year on low mileage drive cars......any tire more that 5 yrs old should be replaced, no matter how many miles you put on them.

You may or may not be able to see the micro cracks but they are there!

v/r
Steve
79 MGB
703-628-8194 - Cell

On Wednesday, June 26, 2019, 5:17:42 PM EDT, searlerb via Groups.Io <searlerb@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I currently have 12 year old Michelin Harmonys on my '78 Roadster with plenty of tread left.  But, the age is starting to concern me (particularly for highway driving).  Should I be?  If so, what would you recommend?  Ed Sweeney at Proper Noise once recommended  Vredstein but I never got a reason why.

Rich Storm

I'd be more concerned about dry rot than tread wear.  Ed recommend Vrederstein to me as well for my 64 B since my low mileage tires were 25 years old.

They have a fairly tall sidewall which has softened my ride considerably and they fill the wheel wells nicely.

I wouldn't recommend them if you want to autocross or do some fast on ramps, but for me they're great.

It B fun,
Rich Storm

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019, 3:17 PM searlerb via Groups.Io <searlerb=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi All,

I currently have 12 year old Michelin Harmonys on my '78 Roadster with plenty of tread left.  But, the age is starting to concern me (particularly for highway driving).  Should I be?  If so, what would you recommend?  Ed Sweeney at Proper Noise once recommended  Vredstein but I never got a reason why.

I have Vredersteins on one of my cars and I like them. They’re also one of the few mfgs who stock the proper sizes for our LBCs. Also, Ed knows his stuff - I’d trust him.

The problem with older tires isn’t really the dry rot - they’ll survive that for ages - but it’s that the tread rubber gets hardened, and as such it doesn’t stick to the road well, particularly in the wet. Old tires are a terrible hazard in rain.

On Jun 26, 2019, at 5:34 PM, Rich Storm <rhstorm47@...> wrote:

I'd be more concerned about dry rot than tread wear.  Ed recommend Vrederstein to me as well for my 64 B since my low mileage tires were 25 years old.

They have a fairly tall sidewall which has softened my ride considerably and they fill the wheel wells nicely.

I wouldn't recommend them if you want to autocross or do some fast on ramps, but for me they're great.

It B fun,
Rich Storm

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019, 3:17 PM searlerb via Groups.Io <searlerb=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi All,

I currently have 12 year old Michelin Harmonys on my '78 Roadster with plenty of tread left.  But, the age is starting to concern me (particularly for highway driving).  Should I be?  If so, what would you recommend?  Ed Sweeney at Proper Noise once recommended  Vredstein but I never got a reason why.

Jeep Tenneson

Roger ,
              Your tires are too old ... replace them , no matter what the tread looks like. The problem with most of our tires is that we don’t put enough miles on them to wear them out first. Tires are cheap compared to the alternative!

                                                                      Jeep

I currently have 12 year old Michelin Harmonys on my '78 Roadster with plenty of tread left.  But, the age is starting to concern me (particularly for highway driving).  Should I be?  If so, what would you recommend?  Ed Sweeney at Proper Noise once recommended  Vredstein but I never got a reason why.

Gregory Simms

Buy Kelly's at Creamery Tire .

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019, 5:17 PM searlerb via Groups.Io <searlerb=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi All,

I currently have 12 year old Michelin Harmonys on my '78 Roadster with plenty of tread left.  But, the age is starting to concern me (particularly for highway driving).  Should I be?  If so, what would you recommend?  Ed Sweeney at Proper Noise once recommended  Vredstein but I never got a reason why.

Emery

I put Vrederstein on my VW replacing the Continentals which got easily damaged on the sidewalls.  They were well recommended on Tire Rack by the reviews and I'm happy with them
I went to Creamery and got Kellys put on my LE. Good tires and a good price since we don't put a lot of miles on them.

Either one is better than what you have.

Ed

[...]

schultejim@...

Roger,
10 years is the standard. Inside side walls and rubber deteriation.
I run Federals on my Magnette. I will check when I get home on the GT but soft low mileage tires are fine for them as we don't drive them many miles to begin with.
Jim

Ira Spector

A few years ago, just after I got my 69E type on the road, I took it to the annual MG show at Horseshoe Lake, New Jersey. The redline tires looked new, with almost perfect tread.  I opted for a spirited ride up 287 at high-speeds rather than my usual back road trip, and I had a blast tossing the car at highway speeds.

At the show I met a so-called expert, who pointed out the dry rot cracks in between the almost new perfect tread. Needless to say that I limped home very carefully on back roads. I was lucky. The tires have since been replaced and will likely dry rot again before they wear out.  The urge to drive it hard makes old tires risky.

For the same reason, I replaced the tires on my ‘77 MGB. I bought them at a local discount tire shop and they were not easy to find.

Vredesteins are very good tires.  We had them on a Honda and they handled well and sold the car before they wore out.  Sports and Classics in Connecticut was the dealer that had them.

 It’s just not worth the risk.

Ira