MGB Performance with Single Weber Carb.

Roger Searle

All,

I'm looking at a nice 1971 MGB GT.  It has a single Weber.  Does anyone have experience with the car performance with this especially compared to alternatives like dual SUs?

Gerard D'Angelo <Gdangelo6118@...>

Webers Suck......Get your hands on Dual SU HIF's, They were what the home market (England) GT's had installed.....You can score a set on E-bay
People don't know how to tune them so they install Webers.......Contact Joe Curto in Astoria Queens NY......He is the Local SU Expert, and can assist you on rebuilding them.......................just my thoughts...........Gerard🚁

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 10:24 AM, searlerb@... [Philly_MG_Club] <Philly_MG_Club@...> wrote:

All,

I'm looking at a nice 1971 MGB GT.  It has a single Weber.  Does anyone have experience with the car performance with this especially compared to alternatives like dual SUs?

Dave Carpenter

On Mar 4, 2017, at 8:29 PM, 'Gerard D'Angelo' Gdangelo6118@... [Philly_MG_Club] <Philly_MG_Club@...> wrote:

Webers Suck......Get your hands on Dual SU HIF's, They were what the home market (England) GT's had installed.....You can score a set on E-bay
People don't know how to tune them so they install Webers.......Contact Joe Curto in Astoria Queens NY......He is the Local SU Expert, and can assist you on rebuilding them.......................just my thoughts...........Gerard🚁

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 10:24 AM, searlerb@... [Philly_MG_Club] <Philly_MG_Club@...> wrote:

All,

I'm looking at a nice 1971 MGB GT.  It has a single Weber.  Does anyone have experience with the car performance with this especially compared to alternatives like dual SUs?

Dave Carpenter

Gerard , that is the worst pun,
Cheers
Dave

On Mar 4, 2017, at 8:29 PM, 'Gerard D'Angelo' Gdangelo6118@... [Philly_MG_Club] <Philly_MG_Club@...> wrote:

Webers Suck......Get your hands on Dual SU HIF's, They were what the home market (England) GT's had installed.....You can score a set on E-bay
People don't know how to tune them so they install Webers.......Contact Joe Curto in Astoria Queens NY......He is the Local SU Expert, and can assist you on rebuilding them.......................just my thoughts...........Gerard🚁

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 10:24 AM, searlerb@... [Philly_MG_Club] <Philly_MG_Club@...> wrote:

All,

I'm looking at a nice 1971 MGB GT.  It has a single Weber.  Does anyone have experience with the car performance with this especially compared to alternatives like dual SUs?

Steve Harding

Roger,
Contact George Van Horn. He has years of knowledge tuning MGBs.
Steve

On Mar 4, 2017, at 8:42 PM, Dave Carpenter slowstdy@... [Philly_MG_Club] <Philly_MG_Club@...> wrote:

On Mar 4, 2017, at 8:29 PM, 'Gerard D'Angelo' Gdangelo6118@... [Philly_MG_Club] <Philly_MG_Club@...> wrote:

Webers Suck......Get your hands on Dual SU HIF's, They were what the home market (England) GT's had installed.....You can score a set on E-bay
People don't know how to tune them so they install Webers.......Contact Joe Curto in Astoria Queens NY......He is the Local SU Expert, and can assist you on rebuilding them.......................just my thoughts...........Gerard🚁

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 10:24 AM, searlerb@... [Philly_MG_Club] <Philly_MG_Club@...> wrote:

All,

I'm looking at a nice 1971 MGB GT.  It has a single Weber.  Does anyone have experience with the car performance with this especially compared to alternatives like dual SUs?

Thanks Gerard.

Webers Suck......Get your hands on Dual SU HIF's, They were what the home market (England) GT's had installed.....You can score a set on E-bay
People don't know how to tune them so they install Webers.......Contact Joe Curto in Astoria Queens NY......He is the Local SU Expert, and can assist you on rebuilding them.......................just my thoughts...........Gerard🚁

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 10:24 AM, searlerb@... [Philly_MG_Club] <Philly_MG_Club@...> wrote:

All,

I'm looking at a nice 1971 MGB GT.  It has a single Weber.  Does anyone have experience with the car performance with this especially compared to alternatives like dual SUs?

Richard Storm <rhstorm47@...>

There's lots of different Weber carburetors out there, so I'm not sure which one you're running.  I had a two barrel, downdraft on my 1964 B and it worked fine.  The biggest problem I had was people turning up their noses at them because they weren't the OEM SUs.   I never was able to find actual comparison data between the SUs and Weber.  Some people who had run both liked one over the other and some were on the other side of the fence.  Other than that, mine ran fine.

Now I have a Moss (Eaton) supercharger with a single SU and it runs great.

Rich Storm

On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 12:48 PM, searlerb@... [Philly_MG_Club] <Philly_MG_Club@...> wrote:

Thanks Gerard.

Webers Suck......Get your hands on Dual SU HIF's, They were what the home market (England) GT's had installed.....You can score a set on E-bay
People don't know how to tune them so they install Webers.......Contact Joe Curto in Astoria Queens NY......He is the Local SU Expert, and can assist you on rebuilding them.......................just my thoughts...........Gerard🚁

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 10:24 AM, searlerb@... [Philly_MG_Club] <Philly_MG_Club@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

All,

I'm looking at a nice 1971 MGB GT.  It has a single Weber.  Does anyone have experience with the car performance with this especially compared to alternatives like dual SUs?

Larry Macy

Jeez Gerard, tell us how you really feel.

My Midget loves its Weber, but the original was a ZS, not an SU.

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.

Use two fingers, it sends a better message - Peace

Sent from my Magical iPad

On Mar 4, 2017, at 8:29 PM, 'Gerard D'Angelo' Gdangelo6118@... [Philly_MG_Club] <Philly_MG_Club@...> wrote:

Webers Suck......Get your hands on Dual SU HIF's, They were what the home market (England) GT's had installed.....You can score a set on E-bay
People don't know how to tune them so they install Webers.......Contact Joe Curto in Astoria Queens NY......He is the Local SU Expert, and can assist you on rebuilding them.......................just my thoughts...........Gerard🚁

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 10:24 AM, searlerb@... [Philly_MG_Club] <Philly_MG_Club@...> wrote:

All,

I'm looking at a nice 1971 MGB GT.  It has a single Weber.  Does anyone have experience with the car performance with this especially compared to alternatives like dual SUs?

Gordon Todd <gltodd@...>

My midget has a side draft weber.
It ran lousy until George Van Horn set it up properly.
The problem as I understand it, is that webers are primarily for racing and operate best at high revs.
George installed a smaller intake venturi  (not sure this is the right word) and a couple other adjustment.
It now runs great.

Gordon

[...]

GAlotis@...

OK here's my 2 cents, if the motor is in good shape, a down draft weber can be tuned to run well, but remember it's a progressive carb, meaning one barrel is open and one opens at 60-70% of throttle, it's not a performance carb. It's a good all around driving carb. Good mpg. The problem is when the motor is starting to wear or something else is not right the Weber is not forgiving and will run like shit.

Su carbs are more forgiving when a motor starts to wear, and when properly turned run better then the Weber for spirited driving. But the SU must be looked after, like check dash pot oil, if you drive in cold weather then a minor adjustment should be done in fall, and again in the spring.

If given a choice, I would install SUs, but if no choice I can turn Weber's, but if your motor is worn out I won't waste your time or mine. If your running a 75 or later B with its stock motor with over 55 k miles on it, then putting on a Weber is a waste of money and time, due to cam failure. Most MGBs with over 65k suffer from head gasket and cam failure of some degree.

So there's my 2 cents

George Van Horn
USN            Ret.

USS Virginia CGN-28
USS Wainwright CG-28
USS Monterey CG-61
USS Ross DDG-71

On Monday, March 6, 2017 searlerb <Philly_MG_Club@...> wrote:

Thanks Gordon.

[...]

Great info.  Thanks George.

BTW, when is a good time to bring my B roadster up to check the Petronix?

[...]

Gdangelo6118@...

Well explained George!!!

Gerard