Topics

condenser failure

Nils Ny <ny.nils@...>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Christopher Ny
Subject: Condenser Failures
To: Nils Ny

This was a fairly interesting article on why current condensers are failing..

http://www.nonlintec.com/sprite/cap_failure/

Martin Cameron

Good article, I have had multiple condenser failures in the last few years. New ones sometimes only lasting a few days

This was a fairly interesting article on why current condensers are failing..

http://www.nonlintec.com/sprite/cap_failure/

Ryan Kubanoff

Gerard some the same thing a year ago. There are supposedly some better quality ones being made in europe but have not actually hit the market yet.  I am waiting with baited breath since i still run points in both of my cars.
Ryan

This was a fairly interesting article on why current condensers are failing..

http://www.nonlintec.com/sprite/cap_failure/

Nils Ny <ny.nils@...>

Yeah, I have had some fail from infant mortality after a few hours ... Best advice is that if you have one that lasts, don't change it ... I have a good one and have had it in there for years.  I found some good quality electronic component capacitors that are far superior quality although you have to put your own ends on for connections.  I will post the part number and where to order, they are .22mfd hi temp and 1000V, they also are appropriate size to replace inside the distributor in original location.
Nils

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 8:26 AM, Martin Cameron cameronm139@... [Philly_MG_Club] <Philly_MG_Club@...> wrote:

Good article, I have had multiple condenser failures in the last few years. New ones sometimes only lasting a few days

This was a fairly interesting article on why current condensers are failing..

http://www.nonlintec.com/sprite/cap_failure/

Kenneth Collins <kjcollins48@...>

Or, you could switch to Petronix Electronic ignition and never have to worry about condensers again. I switched in 2004 when my engine was rebuilt and have never had a problem since.
Ken

Gerard some the same thing a year ago. There are supposedly some better quality ones being made in europe but have not actually hit the market yet.  I am waiting with baited breath since i still run points in both of my cars.
Ryan

This was a fairly interesting article on why current condensers are failing..

http://www.nonlintec.com/sprite/cap_failure/

Martin Cameron

Ken,
Good idea I think I will

Martin C

On Jun 23, 2016, at 10:43 AM, Kenneth Collins kjcollins48@... [Philly_MG_Club] <Philly_MG_Club@...> wrote:

Or, you could switch to Petronix Electronic ignition and never have to worry about condensers again. I switched in 2004 when my engine was rebuilt and have never had a problem since.
Ken

Gerard some the same thing a year ago. There are supposedly some better quality ones being made in europe but have not actually hit the market yet.  I am waiting with baited breath since i still run points in both of my cars.
Ryan

This was a fairly interesting article on why current condensers are failing..

http://www.nonlintec.com/sprite/cap_failure/

Ryan Kubanoff

The only problem is that when they fail you are dead on the road. Or you could always carry a spare distributor ready to go in the boot like some people.....
Ryan

Or, you could switch to Petronix Electronic ignition and never have to worry about condensers again. I switched in 2004 when my engine was rebuilt and have never had a problem since.
Ken

Gerard some the same thing a year ago. There are supposedly some better quality ones being made in europe but have not actually hit the market yet.  I am waiting with baited breath since i still run points in both of my cars.
Ryan

This was a fairly interesting article on why current condensers are failing..

http://www.nonlintec.com/sprite/cap_failure/

Kenneth Collins <kjcollins48@...>

I was thinking of having a backup Petronix in the car just in case.
Ken

On Jun 23, 2016, at 11:42 AM, ryan.kubanoff@... [Philly_MG_Club] <Philly_MG_Club@...> wrote:

The only problem is that when they fail you are dead on the road. Or you could always carry a spare distributor ready to go in the boot like some people.....
Ryan

Or, you could switch to Petronix Electronic ignition and never have to worry about condensers again. I switched in 2004 when my engine was rebuilt and have never had a problem since.
Ken

Gerard some the same thing a year ago. There are supposedly some better quality ones being made in europe but have not actually hit the market yet.  I am waiting with baited breath since i still run points in both of my cars.
Ryan

This was a fairly interesting article on why current condensers are failing..

http://www.nonlintec.com/sprite/cap_failure/

Martin Cameron

I think a spare engine and trans

[...]

Rich Storm

My Petronix stopped working on me yesterday and needed a tow.  I've had it about a year, but have only put  about 1k miles on it. I don't plan to get another one; just don't feel I can trust it.  Of course points can fail too, but they give you a little warning before they die (unless it's a capacitor).  Much cheaper as well.

Rich

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 12:36 PM, Kenneth Collins kjcollins48@... [Philly_MG_Club] <Philly_MG_Club@...> wrote:

[...]

Rich,
Like I said earlier today mine as worked fine for 12 years with no failures. I am going to order a back up today.

[...]

May luck always be on your side.

Rich

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 2:33 PM, Kenneth Collins kjcollins48@... [Philly_MG_Club] <Philly_MG_Club@...> wrote:

Rich,

Like I said earlier today mine as worked fine for 12 years with no failures. I am going to order a back up today.
Ken

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

[...]

Jim Schulte

My Petronics failed before MG2016 and on the way out. But fortunately it didn't leave me stranded. I have a spare points distributor that George loaned me and Pete Cosmides installed it in Louisville, KY. It is staying in for now. I might send the Petronics to the Company to see what they find.
Jim