My long-time problem of the engine suddenly stopping seems to be
getting worse. Below is a description. Any thoughts on a fix or
trouble shooting will be appreciated.
- History of engine cutting out clean (no roughness) for several
- Typically happened once or twice a year (I drive about 2,500
miles a year).
- Seems to be getting more frequent – 4 times in last three outings.
- Engine can be immediately restarted if switch key off and back
on. But engine will not restart if key left on (i.e. coasting engaged in
high gear with key on will not restart engine).
- Aftermarket electronic ignition – about 5 years old.
- New fuel pump 6 or 7 years ago.
- Original Zenith carb.
- Just installed new ignition relay with fresh spade lugs and car
stopped within ¼ mile (But restarted).