Re: 1978 MGB Engine Quits

Roger Searle

Thanks Steve.  I think I will need to follow the replace parts until problem ends approach.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Harding mgbgt1@... [Philly_MG_Club]
To: Philly_MG_Club <Philly_MG_Club@...>
Sent: Wed, Jul 6, 2016 9:05 am
Subject: Re: [Philly_MG_Club] 1978 MGB Engine Quits

Roger,
Had similar problems. George Van Horn replaced the coil (it would get hot while driving) and the condenser and rotor.
Steve

On Jul 6, 2016, at 8:55 AM, searlerb@... [Philly_MG_Club] <Philly_MG_Club@...> wrote:

Over the past year I’ve had four instances of the engine quitting while driving.  If I wait minute or so, it restarts and runs fine for weeks or months.  Attempting an immediate restart when coasting to a stop never works.

Typically quitting happens within a few miles from the beginning of the drive and has never happened after more than 10 or 15 miles.  The last time it happened within two miles.  Also, I thought I heard a small backfire when it quit.  When it quits there is no bucking or loss of power, just a clean stop.

Aside from removal of the air pump and most of the emissions stuff and addition of modern electronic ignition, long before the problem started, the engine is stock.

I recently refurbished the fuel vapor system and checked that all tubing was clear, tested the anti-run on value and tightened rubber tube claps.  The quitting predates this work and the most recent incident was after this work.

Does anyone have ideas on what needs fixing or how to diagnose?