Re: Wire wheels - Anyone know where I can get tires mounted?

Kenneth Collins <kjcollins48@...>

Believe it or not, my 1973 MGBGT was purchased at the Buzz Marcus dealership in Glenside, Pa. I have the original purchase invoice which is dated March 1973. The car was build in August 1972...... Pretty neat that my GT has stayed in the Philadelphia area for 40 plus years.....

From: Randy Alkins randyalkins@... [Philly_MG_Club] ;
To: ;
Subject: Re: [Philly_MG_Club] Wire wheels - Anyone know where I can get tires mounted?
Sent: Thu, Sep 25, 2014 10:28:29 PM

I do not know if tire store is still there but there was a short down from Buzz Marcus(Buzz Duzz) in Glenside at Easton and Jenkintown Rds next to Madonna Beer.  Anyone remember Buzz?

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 6:22 PM, Nils Ny ny.nils@... [Philly_MG_Club] <Philly_MG_Club@...> wrote:

Yeah, Richie is the owner now along with a sister and brother-in-law, I think, after the founder died some years ago.​
My father used to get all his tires there and I have been getting mine there since back in the 60's.  Great place and people, tell him I sent you.  Keep in mind that getting them balanced is still a crap shoot since they do not have the proper adapters to be able to do it correctly (still better than nothing).  When I get my adapters made to fit their machines I'll let you know and you can borrow them.

Nils

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 12:41 PM, rjw@... [Philly_MG_Club] <Philly_MG_Club@...> wrote:

Nils,

Thanks a lot for the tip about Tire City in Bristol.  I just called and talked to Richie.  He is old school, and tells me that he wants to personally do the work, and that he stocks 14 inch tubes and has all the equipment to do the job.

The way he talked and asked me questions, he really knew what he was talking about, he even figured out what type of car it was before I told him.

I arranged to stop in there on Friday morning.  I am going to have him change all of the tubes for me to new ones.  This is the first person who didn't get concerned when I mentioned knock off wire wheels.  I am very optimistic.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Now that I think about it, I don't remember Creamery tire mentioning anything about putting in new tubes to me, or seeing it on the invoice... I suspect they reused the old tubes.  This kind of defeats the purpose of getting new rubber.

Live and learn.

Thanks again,

Rich