Austin Cooper - fuel tank cleaning

Roger Williams

Hi All!

I am looking for your recommendation re: cleaning my fuel tanks.

Last year I used vinegar and baking soda to accomplish the bulk of the cleaning. Some surface rust remained.

Prior to installing them I wanted to see if I could remove the remaining surface rust.

So... last week I used diluted muratic acid followed by an acetone wash. The result was great ... bright shiny bare metal!

When I checked them out this weekend the bare metal was now covered with “flash rust”.

Looking for suggestions to remove/prevent the “flash rust”.

Thanks in advance.

Roger Williams
1966 Austin Cooper S